× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Winancy
Apprentice

I have absolutely no idea. But I don't think it would be easy. Easy would be buying a new router.
Message 26 of 170
mab305
Star

I too am experiencing this issue since upgrading firmware.  Has Netgear acknowledged the issue and/or a plan to remediate?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 27 of 170
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the latest firmware update. We would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for callback. Please DM us the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 28 of 170
SSP2020
Guide

Whenever we click on Router Update, it updates to Firmware Version 1.0.2.154 and after 1-2 Hours Later, you start seeing the Error"DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" for each web page you visit and you need to refresh 2-3 times to load the page and I think this update made it purposefully so that users must purchase the latest Netgear Router. This update runs and loads the web page very slow. 

To resolve the issue, please download Firmware Version 1.0.2.144  and downgrade the firmware. Then, reboot the Router and laptop and see the problem goes away. If it persists, reset the Router to the default setting and make sure you first did downgrade the firmware so that after reset, it must be on 1.0.2.144. Then do all the Router setting one by one. Please don't copy the previous configuration file and upload it. Never learned goes to version 1.0.2.154. Customer service will not resolve the issue even after 4-5 months. happen with me 2-3 times and resolved by own

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 29 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I have a R6400 router and the updated firmware is v1.0.1.74_1.0.48. I downloaded the previous version 1.0.45 and installed it and the same thing is happening. I didn't do a factory reset first.
Believe me, if their aim is to get you to buy their newest router, they're going to lose! I'm looking at other brands because this has been a nightmare. Know anything about tp-link routers? I have several tp-link smart plugs that work well.
Message 30 of 170
mab305
Star

Has any solution to this issue been found?  I downgraded, reset to factory settings and that didn't resolve the issue.  Next step is to purchase a new router and confirm that fixes it which would definately isolate the issue to Netgear.  But obviously not the route I would prefer to take.  That said, the problem is very disrupptive and needs to be addressed.  I guess I could leverage social medial to inquire with Netgear and it would give other Netgear customer an awareness of the issue.

Message 31 of 170
SSP2020
Guide

Hi,

Please see the solution I gave and try that. after that run the following command in CMD through admin Mode.
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
Restart the computer

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 32 of 170
mab305
Star

Thank you for the solution you shared.  Unfortionately, it didn't work for me.  I really appreciate your help!!!

Netgear:  Please step-up and help with this issue...

Message 33 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Rolling back the firmware fixed the issue for me and most others posting about the FW DNS problem.  Verify that you are on the older firmware. 

After downgrading, state exactly what is happening? 

Message 34 of 170
robjak
Luminary

you should run  ipconfig /release   before the flushdns.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

Message 35 of 170
robjak
Luminary

MAB305   see above post from  olympos1625

I have been contacted by NETGEAR support to help troubleshoot issue,  but of of course they contacted me the day i leave for a 2 week vacation.  Others should do as olympos1625 posted to try and help find the problem.  

Message 36 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I have a phone appointment with them tomorrow.
I rolled back to the previous firmware and it didn't help. Same issues.
Message 37 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I have run the ip release, then flush dns, then renew the ip, restart the computer. Doesn't help.
Message 38 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Winancy

Confirm you are using  R6400 Firmware Version 1.0.1.72 .   Did you change any DNS settings before rolling back?

Message 39 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Rolled back 1.0.1.74_1.0.1.48 to 1.0.1. 72_1.0.1.44.
Didnt make any changes. I don't remember if I tried flushing the DNS before or after I did that.
Message 40 of 170
mab305
Star

I also rolled back to the prior firmware version, flushed dns and reset to factory setting.  Didn't fix the issue which I'm getting on a pc and two laptops.

Message 41 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Mab305
It's a DNS issue, so anything you have connected to the router it will affect.
I don't get errors on my phone or iPad, but there is a delay or a failure to load on those too.
Message 42 of 170
mab305
Star

Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing of information!  I did downgrade to v1.0.1.72_1.0.45.  I also ran through the dns flush in the order suggested.  Unfortionately, that did not resolve the issue.

Netgear....HELP! 

Message 43 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
Restart the computer

I just did this and it didn't correct the problem.

Interesting observation though....there is no longer a notice that there is a new firmware update. 

And when I logged into my router, there was a saved password, which was a bit disconcerting. 

My appointment with Netgear is coming up shortly.

Message 44 of 170
mab305
Star

Thank you for your update!  I noticed the firmware notification is gone too AND when I manually did a firmware update check it came back with no new firmware update is available.

I downgraded again.  Now two versions back to  v1.0.1.70_1.0.44.  I think I'm still experiencing the issue, but it doesn't seem to be as bad.  That said, it's only been a few minutes so it may be wishful thinking.

Would appreciate it if you update on on your call - good luck!

Netgear.....Please help us!!!!!!

Message 45 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

With everything I've tried, it appears to fix the issue....for about 10 minutes. And then it's back again. And it fluctuates during the day as well. Will be horrible for awhile, I'll come back a couple hours later and it's not bad at all, an hour later, I have to hit reload 5 times to get a webpage to come up. 

I just hope I get someone I can understand for support. I have some hearing loss which makes it even worse to understand accents not familiar to me.

Message 46 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

UPDATE AFTER NETGEAR SUPPORT:

1. Downloaded the 1.0.1.74 firmware update and installed
  2. Factory reset the router
  3. Installed the Nighthawk app
  4. Cleared the browser data (all time)
  5. Restarted the computer
  6. Unplugged the modem and router
  7. Waited 2 minutes
  8. Plugged in modem first and then router
  9. It was WORSE than it's been all along
  10. Changed the DNS provider from using the internet provider one to using Google. 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary
  11. Still getting the occasional DNS error, but usually immediately flips to the webpage
  12. Support Tech had no more ideas, will call back tomorrow to see how it's working and maybe go on from there.
  13. I'm going to tell her that at this point, I'm waiting for another firmware update and if that's still not working, I'm buying a different router brand. 

Message 47 of 170
mab305
Star

Winancy:  Wow.  I feel your pain.  This router has been an excellent experience and I've never had issues with it.  In fact I would have recommended it and Netgear, but this update has made our network so unstable.  We get issues during monetary transactions and it impacts work from home.  I'm afraid I'm not able to wait and will need to purchase a new router.  Unless Netgear fixes this in the next day or so, I will be purchasing a different brand and advising others to do the same.  I don't want to that, but at some point I have no choice.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.  Please keep us posted!  Thank you again!

Message 48 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Winancy

Sorry that you did not get any real support.   I would have told them to get fk as soon as they wanted me to install the stupid app.

Did they not think we have not tried everything they presented? 

Message 49 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I'm finding the worst part of this right now is that my documents aren't uploading to One Drive. I rely on that as my backup. But I may have to go back to Google Drive until this is sorted out.
Oh and since all these changes today, I'm having trouble with things loading on my phone. I may just have to turn off wifi.
But we shouldn't have to make compromises because Netgears updates have fouled up the router. Technically, they should replace the router!
Message 50 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7