× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Winancy
Apprentice

SATURDAY UPDATE:

Got a callback from the Netgear Tech Support person

She didn't remember what we did yesterday, so when she gave me suggestions, I had to tell her we did that already.

Then, she told me that firewalls cause this problem and wanted me to turn off the firewall and virus protection on my computer. I refused. I told her that it's been working just fine since I got the computer, I keep it updated and I'm not going to turn it off just to see if it makes everything better. I then told her that I'm at the point where I'm going to see how it goes for awhile, maybe there will be another firmware update addressing this, and then if it's not resolved I'm buying a new router. Didn't tell her that it most likely will not be a Netgear router!

She said she could elevate this problem, but she'd have to get some settings and take some screen shots before she could do that. I was reluctant, but eventually said ok. 

Then, she had me go to chrome://net-internals/#dns and clear host cache. The only thing this did was to change the error from the nxdomain one to a err_name_not_resolved.  She then told me that this indicates the it's not the router, but the internet service provider unable to identify the address of a webpage. I reminded her that we changed DNS to Google yesterday and she gave me some convoluted explaination that it was still a problem with Spectrum. 

Then she said she'll touch base with me again and see how things are going. No timeframe. And she didn't elevate the problem to a higher tier. 

Pretty fed up at this point. 

Message 51 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Winancy

Sorry again.  I was hoping for more from "level 2 support".  I would have lost it.  

There is another post for the same issues  where someone saw the packet  where 192.168.0.1 (router) had actually rejected the DNS request. This is where the problem is  and where NETGEAR needs to look.  Not on in cache or firewall.  

THIS IS NOT A FIREWALL ISSUE NETGEAR PEOPLE.  THIS IS NOT AN ISP ISSUE. 

Message 52 of 170
robjak
Luminary

quote from user dvinell    

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/7-29-21-Firmware-update-1-0-4-74/m-p/2125785

I ran a Wireshark Trace, and what I saw was a DNS request to 192.168.1.1 (the router) followed by a DNS response from the router: "Refused".

"10515 2021-08-18 17:21:47.901153 192.168.1.12 192.168.1.1 DNS 75 Standard query 0xf3db A www.topgear.com"

10516 2021-08-18 17:21:47.901535 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.12 DNS 75 Standard query response 0xf3db Refused A www.topgear.com"

It then repeats the DNS request, gets a positive response, and it works.

Message 53 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

My woes will be over tomorrow when my new TP-Link router arrives. I hope!
Message 54 of 170
robjak
Luminary

I saved the  TP-Link  Archer AX6000 to my amazon wish list 2 weeks ago.  Just in case.    

Message 55 of 170
mab305
Star

NETGEAR:    This really is beyond disappointing.  I purchased a new router and the issue is resolved.  Please fix your firmware!  The hours spent on this and the disruption is not acceptable.

Message 56 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@robjak wrote:

I saved the  TP-Link  Archer AX6000 to my amazon wish list 2 weeks ago.  Just in case.    

I went with the TP-Link Archer AX50.  We're not gamers and don't have a ton of devices. But my Netgear is 5 years old (R6400) so I'm certain I will notice a difference.

Message 57 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@mab305 wrote:

NETGEAR:    This really is beyond disappointing.  I purchased a new router and the issue is resolved.  Please fix your firmware!  The hours spent on this and the disruption is not acceptable.

I'm guessing that it's not widespread....or people just don't update their firmware. They don't have to do anything unless enough people complain. 

Message 58 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

SUNDAY UPDATE:

Just going to throw this out there. 

Our son came to visit and brought his laptop and connected to the wi-fi.  He is not getting any error messages and webpages are loading without issue. 

The desktop, which is ethernetted to the router, is still getting error messages randomly, but then immediately goes on to the webpage. Except for a random one here and there that I have to hit reload. 

Could this have anything to do with being wired into the router instead of using the wifi?

Message 59 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Check your sons settings on his laptop.   Most likely his adapter is set to not use the router for DNS.  (set manaully)  

if a windows laptop  run   ipconfig /all     scroll to find Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi     look for DNS      What is the ip(s)?   compare to the desktop.  

Mine would show as 192.168.0.1 (router) .  My issues are on wi-fi.  I have not checked if my ethernet devices are affected. 

Message 60 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@robjak wrote:

Check your sons settings on his laptop.   Most likely his adpater is set to not use the router for DNS.  (set manaully)  

if a windows laptop  run   ipconfig /all     scroll to find Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi     look for DNS      What is the ip(s)?   compare to the desktop.  

Mine would show as 192.168.0.1 (router) 

That's pretty technical for me!!! And he's not wanting me to interrupt his game right now. 🙂

But I found something very interesting and I'm not sure if I can adequately explain it. 

I clicked on the Internet Access icon in the tray. It had been saying "network 2" for as long as I can remember. Just for the heck of it, I turned on wifi and clicked on the router SSID and connected to the router.  I tested all the webpages that have been giving me issues and they all came up without a hitch. I then turned off wifi and it said I was connected to ethernet, but now the Internet Access doesn't say "network 2" anymore, it is the SSID name for the router.  And everything is working just fine.  UPDATE: It worked fine for the usual 10minutes and then back to the NXDOMAIN error, both on Chrome and Edge. 

Message 61 of 170
robjak
Luminary

do you still have the newer FW?

Message 62 of 170
robjak
Luminary

UPDATE: It worked fine for the usual 10minutes and then back to the NXDOMAIN error, both on Chrome and Edge. 

I was thinking this might happen. 

Message 63 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

FW?
Message 64 of 170
robjak
Luminary

firmware version.  

Message 65 of 170
landous
Initiate

I have an R6400v2 and have been seeing the same problem after the latest firmware update. The latest firmware update available is 1.0.4.118. I first tried to go back to a recent build from September 2020, v1.0.4.102, but was still seeing the DNS errors on several of my devices.

I then went back to the latest build for the previous major version, v1.0.3.66, which is from 2019. I did the change yesterday and everything seems to be working ok so far.

Netgear support: please check if the dnsmasq version was changed after the latest builds, my guess is that there's a bug/memory leak/service crashing problem.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 66 of 170
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Replying here that I am still seeing this issue and a FW rollback did not help. Almost time to replace my hardware.

Message 67 of 170
mab305
Star

Glad a new non-Netgear router restored normal service for you.  I too purchased a new router which resolved the issue for me too.

Message 68 of 170
robjak
Luminary

Winancy

It is good that you got your net fixed.  Too bad  that Netgear could not help you.  They will lose alot of customers.  I will never buy another Netgear product. 

Message 69 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

I used to think Netgear was the best, top of the line. Not anymore. I won't be buying another one either.
Message 70 of 170
robjak
Luminary

MY R8300 was awesome for the 2 years since i bought it.  Until Netgear released firmware that broke it. 

Message 71 of 170
golfnut1969
Guide

I tried switching to another DNS provider, but this didn't fix the issue either.  I was using my ISP's DNS and switched to two others, but the same thing happened.  This is definitly the router firmware.

Message 72 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

UPDATE

Netgear support called back yesterday to see how everything was going. I told her that everything was working great now because I bought a new router. She asked if it was a Netgear router and I told her no. She then said that the case is now closed, stay well and have a good day.
Message 73 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

"as you can seehere lots of complains from that time."
Good job on spamming.
Message 74 of 170
golfnut1969
Guide

What does this URL have to do with this issue?

https://removalsoldham.co.uk/man-and-van-services-oldham/

@gaver376 wrote:

I am also facing this NXDOMAIN error issue from the last updates also it was not performing as well with the second last updates as you can seehere lots of complains from that time.

Message 75 of 170
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7