× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS>PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error since latest update

Berr
Aspirant

Netgear - are we still waiting for this firmware fix for the Nighthawk R8000 X6 ?? It's been a long time since I've heard anything about this issue progressing...

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 151 of 170
mkx
Tutor
Tutor

Turned my 3 Netgears into access points. 

Not buying Netgear products anymore.. 

This is effectivly a "Planned obsolescence" causing people to buy new products.

Message 152 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@mkx  I don't blame you.  My new Asus router works just fine....well, other than the fact that it's not playing well with my 2 year old TP-Link Kasa mini smart plugs.  Goes offline, local only, works ok, randomly.  I purchased some brand new plugs but haven't had time to set them up and see if they work.

Message 153 of 170
egc112
Tutor

@DuncStar1 wrote:
Planned obsolescence for sure. DDWRT or Tomato for me before I fork out for new hardware. Can anyone here recommend one over the other? Thanks!

I use DDWRT on my Netgear R6400v2 and Netgear R7800 and am very happy running the latest build 47822.

If you start with DDWRT it is advised to read the forum guidelines full of helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Message 154 of 170
frothy333
Aspirant

I gave up on using this error b/c of the issue where firmware version R6700v3-V1.0.4.120_10.0.91 broke DNS.  Downgrading and doing factory resets didn't work.   Wound up getting a replacement TPLINK AX10 wireless router that's been flawless.

However, I still have this Netgear router that is past store return period.  I would like to sell it but can't b/c I know of the flawed DNS issue.

I see that Netgear just released firmware version Firmware 1.0.4.122 with "security updates" with no mention of the DNS issue or if this firmware fixes it.  

Does anyone know if Firmware 1.0.4.122 fixes the DNS issue?  Anyone tried? 

Thanks

Message 155 of 170
Buffo
Tutor

I also had the DNS errors with firmware v1.0.4.118_10.0.90 tht was fixed by downgrading back to v1.04.106_10.0.80.

I saw the firmware
V1.0.4.122_10.0.95 and I updated a couple of days ago.   At this point I have NOT seen any of the DNS lookup errors that occurred before.  Hopefully this fixed the DNS errors.    I will post back if the errors pop up again.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 156 of 170
phenry9999
Tutor

Curious. I have the X6 R8000, and have the 1.0.4.68 and minimal DNS errors. But the best version I can do to upgrade to is 1.0.4.76_10_1_82 (why the convoluted versioning?)....why is this so different from others reported?

Message 157 of 170
itnewng
Aspirant

I am also run into the same issue of the following router

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WiFi Router (R8000)

Serial Number: 3W74487H03B4D

Previous Firmware Version
V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

Current Firmware Version (Updated on 02/01/2022)
V1.0.4.76_10.1.82

Could someone suggest which FW version to downgrade in order to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 158 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Do yourself a favor and throw your Netgear router in the garbage and go out and buy a different brand. It's been 6 months and Netgear hasn't done anything to correct the issue other than tell you to turn off your virus protection contact your ISP and tell them they have a DNS issue.
Message 159 of 170
egc112
Tutor

The hardware is OK, it is just the software.

Luckily there is a lot of alternative and far better software available.

I am a happy DDWRT user.

Message 160 of 170

@Winancy wrote:
....Netgear hasn't done anything to correct the issue other than tell you to turn off your virus protection contact your ISP and tell them they have a DNS issue.

Where did you read that?

It isn't the usual response to that problem.

Roll back to older firmware works for most people.

Message 161 of 170

@itnewng wrote:

Could someone suggest which FW version to downgrade in order to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Try the previous version. That was before this bug surfaced.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 162 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@michaelkenward

I didn't read it anywhere. That's what Netgear support told me after several days of "try this" and "try that." I'm the person who started this thread. Scroll to the beginning to read the whole saga. Rolling back didn't work.
Message 163 of 170

@Winancy wrote:

I didn't read it anywhere. That's what Netgear support told me after several days of "try this" and "try that." I'm the person who started this thread. Scroll to the beginning to read the whole saga.

A lot has changed since 2021-08-03, near on six months ago. (That's history.)

Even Netgear probably knows by now that whoever you contacted back then was wrong.

Much better to work on what we know now.

Rolling back didn't work.

It did for many people. That should be a cue to dig deeper into what is happening at our end.

Did you get anywhere? (Forgive me if I don't re-read all of the past 168 messages..)

Message 164 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Did you get anywhere? (Forgive me if I don't re-read all of the past 168 messages..)Six months is too long to wait. When I'd have to click on a website 6 times before it would load without a DNS error and tech support told me it wasn't their problem, it was my ISP, I went out and bought a new router, not a Netgear.
Message 165 of 170

@Winancy wrote:

Did you get anywhere? (Forgive me if I don't re-read all of the past 168 messages..)Six months is too long to wait. When I'd have to click on a website 6 times before it would load without a DNS error and tech support told me it wasn't their problem, it was my ISP, I went out and bought a new router, not a Netgear.

So, your experience with this router, the firmware update. that problem, and possible solutions, isn't based on enough recent experience to help anyone else seeking solutions.

The world has moved on since your first message.

I add this response simply to alert other people who turn up here that they might like to pay attention to the whole conversation, not just something from ancient history. Nothing wrong with reminders, but they belong in context.

Message 166 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

@michaelkenward
I've certainly moved on, but people should be aware that Netgear took no responsibility for rendering not just my router but many others useless. They apparently still haven't fixed the issue. Rolling back to a previous version of software is not a fix, especially if it doesn't work.
But I heard your message, however diplomatically you stated it, loud and clear.

I think I need to stop receiving notifications for this thread.
Message 167 of 170
frothy333
Aspirant

Hi all.  I too was plagued by the DNS issue on my AC1750 Smart WiFi Router(R6700v3) using Windows 10 and have posted previously in this thread. The version that broke mine was R6700v3-V1.0.4.120_10.0.91.  I tried downgrading back to R6700v3-V1.0.4.118_10.0.90 which is the version that came with my router and was working perfectly , resetting to factory defaults, and combinations thereof with no luck.  So, I went out and bought a TP Link AX10 Wifi Router which has been rock solid.  My return period for the Netgear AC1750 had passed so I was stuck with keeping the Netgear.  Didn't want to try and sell it with the DNS issue. 

I did keep checking for Netgear firmware updates.   Netgear then released R6700v3-V1.0.4.122_10.0.95.   I upgraded the Netgear to that version, did a factory reset, and voila.   DNS issues were fixed!  I'm just saying that this worked for ME on my specific Netgear model.  I was happy with my TP Link so I decided to sell the Netgear for $40 just to recoup some cash.  Even though MY problem got fixed, I know it hasn't for others.  I'll never buy Netgear products again. 

Good luck!

Message 168 of 170
Winancy
Apprentice

Hi Frothy333

I bought a TP-Link and loved it too, until the ethernet port went bad. Fortunately still in the return window. Now I have an Asus which is great except it doesn't play well with my Kasa smart plugs for some reason. They will go offline randomly both in the app and when voice controlling with Alexa.
Message 169 of 170
smithcarter
Aspirant

Hey,

I enabled IPv6 on the router. Seems to have fixed this.

Cheers.

Message 170 of 170
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7