× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Destination host unreachable

GaveDrohl
Aspirant

Destination host unreachable

I have a R6260 router and access point.  I have wired and wireless clients, 5ghz radio turned off.  After a period of uptime (maybe 1/2 day), certain clients become unreachable.  Pinging them says "destination host unreachable".  E.g. Pinging my chromecast from my phone fails, but from my desktop works fine.  The problem doesn't seem to be limited to wifi pinging wired, or any other combination thereof.  My router doesn't seem to have an "isolation mode" setting that I can find.  Also QoS, UPnP, access schedules, and most of the other features turned off... i.e. a pretty basic config.  Any ideas what's going on?  Ready to toss this router.  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3

Re: Destination host unreachable

@GaveDrohl wrote:

I have a R6260 router and access point. 

What does that mean? A router and an access point? A router configured as an access point?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting. It can also lead to the sort of symptoms you describe.

Message 2 of 3
GaveDrohl
Aspirant

Re: Destination host unreachable

Thanks @michaelkenward  for taking the time to respond.

It's a wireless router.  I don't have the "Access Point Mode" setting enabled, but I do have the 2.4GHz radio enabled (not 5GHz though).  It has 4 ports and I have both wired and wifi clients.  Some of the wired clients are behind switches, but I'm not sure that even needs to be considered since the problem occurs in just the wifi clients trying to ping each other.

Firmware version V1.1.0.88, but I went back as far as V1.1.0.78 and the problem still reoccurs.

The cable modem is a Netgear CM700, which doesn't have router or wifi capabilities like the R6260.  It has only one port which is connected to the Netgear R6260 wireless router.

Maybe there's some sort of diagnostic I can perform when the problem reoccurs?  I tried a basic tracert command but it only revealed "destination host unreachable".

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7