× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dismal internet speeds

golfnut1969
Guide

Dismal internet speeds

So, I'm getting ready to buy a new router.  I have a cable internet connection that guarantees 100 mbps. 

If I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem, I get 134.3 mbps download and 5.8 mbps upload speeds.  If I make a wired connection to the router, I get speeds of 57.7 down and 5.6 up.

If I make a wired connection to the router, I get speeds of 57.7 down and 5.6 up.

If I connect wirelessly using N channel, I get 34.3 down and 5.07 up

If I connect wirelessly using G channel I get  12.4 down and 3.29 up  (it sometimes goes as low as 5 mbps download on tests).

I've tried all 4 modes of operation

Up to 270mbps at 2.4GHz

Up to 270mbps at 5GHz & 54mbps at 2.4GHz

Up to 130mbps at 2.4 GHz

Up to 130mbps at 5 GHz & 54mbps at 2.4 GHz

None of these has improved speeds, but in some cases they've gotten much worse. 

This post is a last ditch effort to try something else before trashing this router and buying a new one.

Model: WNDR3300v1|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
golfnut1969
Guide

Thanks for all the replies.  However, even with the bandwidth limits of old equipment, I think I should have gotten better speeds.  I should have noted in my original post that I have 8 available wireless networks showing up at my home, all from neighbors.  At least half of these are showing 3 bars or more so they're pretty strong signals.  I think I was getting a lot of interference from neighbors, and my old router just didn't have the power to get through all these.  

Note, I just said old Router.  I bought a NETGEAR R6400 - Wireless-AC1750.  Now I'm getting 141 mbps download when wired, 132 mbps on 5 GHz and around 71 mbps on the 2.4 GHz channel.    So, I've put all the kid's phones, Kindles, and other stuff on the 2.4 GHz channel, my wife and I on the 5 GHz and I wired the XBox and my laptop in my office and wife's laptop in the kitchen.  

I'm happy with the performance I'm getting now.  Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
William10a
Master

First thing the router only has 10/100 mb internet and lan ports so you 100mb service is your top speed it will handle the wifi performance may be around 40 to 70 mbs if lucky a firmware update may help some if you ever want to get a faster internet speed you will need a new router for any speed above the 100mb range. A firmware update and resetting up may restore some life back into router but the router is near it's limits now

here is the users manual for http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3300V1/WNDR3300_SM_12Nov07.pdf

It is a dual band by the way 2.4 and 5 ghz bands if you replace it you use as access point if needed for a remote building. 

Message 2 of 5

@William10a wrote:

First thing the router only has 10/100 mb internet and lan ports so you 100mb service is your top speed it will handle ..

And remember, that 100 Mbps is on a network that is handling two-way traffic and loads of other stuff, so a single operation isn't going to have all of that capacity and get you even that theoretical top speed.

You are using a wireless router that is more than 10 years old, the manual is dated November 2007. It was made before we could hope for ISPs to deliver 100 Mbps.

Its wifi technology is of the same vintage.

Message 3 of 5
William10a
Master

I just realiizedthat my old back up router is better then I believed it was awndr3400v1 handing 72 mbs in to internet port and 72 mb out of the lan ports with 54 mbs on its 2.4 ghz band 50mb on the 5 ghz band depending the time of day.

Message 4 of 5
golfnut1969
Guide

Thanks for all the replies.  However, even with the bandwidth limits of old equipment, I think I should have gotten better speeds.  I should have noted in my original post that I have 8 available wireless networks showing up at my home, all from neighbors.  At least half of these are showing 3 bars or more so they're pretty strong signals.  I think I was getting a lot of interference from neighbors, and my old router just didn't have the power to get through all these.  

Note, I just said old Router.  I bought a NETGEAR R6400 - Wireless-AC1750.  Now I'm getting 141 mbps download when wired, 132 mbps on 5 GHz and around 71 mbps on the 2.4 GHz channel.    So, I've put all the kid's phones, Kindles, and other stuff on the 2.4 GHz channel, my wife and I on the 5 GHz and I wired the XBox and my laptop in my office and wife's laptop in the kitchen.  

I'm happy with the performance I'm getting now.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7