× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Failure to reach close to advertised speeds.

Sjp613
Aspirant

Failure to reach close to advertised speeds.

I have an 1750 AC router R6400V2. I just increased my internet speed to 1GHZ through my ISP. The device doesn’t get close to advertised speed either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. If I hook my computer directly to the new new modem I get close to 1GHZ. Using Ethernet connection to the router, speeds are much less at 180 upload and 35-40 download. Wi-Fi much slower than expected. Customer support did send me to several KB about manual updating firmware and resetting device but nothing helps. I am using 5E cables. Any help from the community would be appreciated. The main thing I was told was to pay for an expensive warranty extension. I would like to avoid that expense if possible. Power light is not white. See attachment

Message 1 of 4

Re: Failure to reach close to advertised speeds.

@Sjp613 wrote:

I have an 1750 AC router R6400V2. I just increased my internet speed to 1GHZ through my ISP. The device doesn’t get close to advertised speed either via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Did you reset and reconfigure the router after the upgrade? It may be running on settings designed for the old Internet service.

If I hook my computer directly to the new new modem I get close to 1GHZ.

And that modem is?

Wi-Fi much slower than expected.

Only you know what speeds you "expect" – ignore the marketing guff –  but in general these will be a lot lower than the Internet speed. The wifi clients fix the wifi speed, not the router or the Internet connection. 

Power light is not white. See attachment

I see no attachment. Not "white" can be a sign of hardware failure or a dying power adapter.

Be warned that your R6400V2 is based on a device first sold in 2015 and was never an "advanced" router. It was launched in an era when Gb Internet was almost unknown.

Netgear, and other brands, have been through several technology generations since then

Message 2 of 4
Sjp613
Aspirant

Thanks. You confirmed what I suspected. I was going to look for an upgrade soon so I will temporize in the meantime. Any suggestions about a replacement that will not be terribly expensive. I am not a gamer. Usually only have smart TV, tablets and iPhones using system. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

If its a new upgrade, factory reset the R6400. Don't install it from a backup and make sure during the reinstall to leave qos, access controls, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. They'll slow your speeds on that device. 

What firmware version are you on? 

You're not going to get great speeds out of that device or any of the AC1750/AC1900 devices but this review will give you a rough idea of what they're capable of. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/netgear-r6400-wireless-retest/

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7