× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting dropped packets now with my R6300V2 router after upgrading to Docsis 3.0 Modem

Bronwyn031
Aspirant

Getting dropped packets now with my R6300V2 router after upgrading to Docsis 3.0 Modem

Okay, just upgraded my HSI through Charter to their 60Mbs Down/5Mbs Up Spectrum Internet Plus package. Was told my older Motorola Surfboard modem was inadequate to receive the higher speeds and that I would need to upgrade to one of Charter's new Docsis 3.0 modems for free.

My home network setup:

Modem > Netgear R6300V2 Router > Desktop #1 (Port 1), Asustor NAS (24TB Storage) (Port 2), Desktop #2 (Port 3), Netgear GS108 Ethernet Bridge (Port 4).

The GS108 is split out to a PS4Pro, XBOX1, Oppo BD103, Yamaha RX-A1040 AVR, HTPC Desktop, Vizio P-Series 65" 4K Smart TV.

I also attach 2 Laptops and a Samsung Tablet PC to the network over 802.11n & a/c wifi.

After the service upgrade I've started experiencing dropped packets according to the R6300V2 logs which cause the router to stop communicating with the modem. All of the lights on the modem are green and the trasmit light is flickering like normal, however no device along the home network chain can access the internet. I've waited up to 4-5 hours hoping the internet would return but it never does; forcing a reboot of the modem.

Internet returns but drops out within 5-30mins causing a full reboot once again.

I am now rebooting the modem 15-20x's a day when home.

After contacting Charter customer support, I'm being told that it's my Netgear Router and that modem is receiving the proper signal strengths and speeds.  

When I check the R6300V2 logs, it states that there is a massive amount of dropped packets from often used websites, followed by a loss of internet connection. The lost packets are coming from Google, Netflix, VUDU, Playstation Network, etc.

I thought maybe the wiring in my home was going bad so I ran the service line directly from the service drop to the modem (bypassing the home's wiring) and nothing changed.

Next I removed the GS108 bridge from the equation and nothing changed.

I subsequently continued removing devices trying to pinpoint the device of failure.

It wasn't until I ran the service line directly from the modem into desktop #1 (bypassing the home network all together) that I have a stable connection that has been going for 5 days straight without a service drop.

This morning I reconnected the router into the setup and only ran a connection to desktop #1 over router port #1 and within 8mins the dropped packets and service disconnect occured.

So as of now I'm considering purchasing a Netgear Docsis 3.0 modem (the CM700) to replace the free modem Charter has provided.

Now this issue has only started occuring since upgrading to the 60Mbs Docsis modem and new service package. My old 30Mbs Motorola Surfboard modem had no issues at all servicing my elaborate network setup.

I went online and tried all of the tips and tricks here on the Netgear forums including disabling the Drop Packet check, changing the MTU packet size, to disabling Wifi access. Nothing seems to help.

Everything I've read seems to point to the modem and the router not getting along and I'm wondering if upgrading to a Netgear docsis 3.0 modem will work better with my all Netgear network solution. Or do I need to upgrade my 2year old R6300V2 router also?

Any suggestions or tips that anyone has tried to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Bronwyn031
Aspirant

Re: Getting dropped packets now with my R6300V2 router after upgrading to Docsis 3.0 Modem

[SOLVED] ... so far.

Ditched the Cisco modem that Charter gave me and bought the Motorola/Arris SB6190 Docsic 3.0 modem. Took a 20 min phone call to Charter to get the modem initilized and up and running.

Ran the connection directly from the drop to the modem to a single PC and the connection never dropped.

Went ahead and reconnected the modem into my home network through my Netgear R6300V2 router and GS108 Network Bridge.

The network has been running for the past 2 days without a single internet drop!

Network speeds are maxxing out for my service tier (60Mbs/5Mbs) and my pings are normal.

The only thing that I've noticed is that I believe Charter blocks the modem UI access page from being accessed. I followed the modem's instructions on accessing the UI page and the page just times out.

However, my network is back up!  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Bronwyn031
Aspirant

Re: Getting dropped packets now with my R6300V2 router after upgrading to Docsis 3.0 Modem

[SOLVED] ... so far.

Ditched the Cisco modem that Charter gave me and bought the Motorola/Arris SB6190 Docsic 3.0 modem. Took a 20 min phone call to Charter to get the modem initilized and up and running.

Ran the connection directly from the drop to the modem to a single PC and the connection never dropped.

Went ahead and reconnected the modem into my home network through my Netgear R6300V2 router and GS108 Network Bridge.

The network has been running for the past 2 days without a single internet drop!

Network speeds are maxxing out for my service tier (60Mbs/5Mbs) and my pings are normal.

The only thing that I've noticed is that I believe Charter blocks the modem UI access page from being accessed. I followed the modem's instructions on accessing the UI page and the page just times out.

However, my network is back up!  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7