× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Getting half wifi speeds compared to wired speeds with Orbi AX6000

Puch96
Guide

Getting half wifi speeds compared to wired speeds with Orbi AX6000

Hello All.  

Sorry if this has been asked, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my issue.

I have Gigabit internet through XFINITY.

If I perform a speed test using my PC (hardwired to the Orbi RBR850 router, I get around 935 Mb/s down and about 42 Mb/s up

However, when I perform speedtest on laptop or phone connected to  RBR850 router through WiFi connection(AC), I maxes out at around 520 Mb/s or so.

I have the latest Firmware on my orbi systems.

Anyone know why my speed is litelarly cut in half compared to wired?

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Getting half wifi speeds compared to wired speeds with Orbi AX6000

Because wired is that much faster? 

What devices are you testing on? 

Ax devices (phones/tablets/etc) just started hitting gigabit speeds over wireless but you need to be fairly close to hit those speeds. 

I'd take a read through here on a lot of misconceptions about wireless speeds

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 2 of 5
Puch96
Guide

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Pixel 3XL (which is Wireless AC) and when i check the settings it says link speed of 866  Mbps. Also, it is using Channel 48.

I also try testing with work laptop which also hace wireless AC, and getting similar results, when only a few feet away from the main Orbi router.

When standing close to the satellite,  I also get similar speeds, typically capping at around 450 Mbps.

I am just curious as to why I cannot utilize full bandwidth over wifi and reach something closer than what I get when testing through wired conenction.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

LInk speed isn't the same as actual throughput speeds. Throughput tends to be roughly 55-65% of what link speed is. (better for higher performing wifi chips/devices). 

Thats what the link to duckware is about. It goes over some of those misconceptions about wireless speeds/performance that people tend to have. 

Message 4 of 5
Puch96
Guide

OK.  I understand.. Thanks for your help and explanation.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7