× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I connect to my 5Ghz Network with my LAN?

HelpN750
Aspirant

How do I connect to my 5Ghz Network with my LAN?

So I'm going to preface this with a note that I believe I have some idea of what's going on but I could actually have no idea whats going on and make no sense. So be prepared for that.

I have a WNDR4300 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router and what I believe to be is a pretty simple problem. I have a LAN connected to the router into my computer and would like to be using the 5 Ghz network, but it has automatically set me up on the 2.4 Ghz network. I've tried every way I can think of of disconnecting and reconnecting and going on the NETGEAR Genie but nothing seems to work.

This is not an issue of whether anything is supported or not, because we had an old router with the exact same dual band capability and I connected to the 5 Ghz just fine. I can also see the 5 Ghz network wirelessly on my phone, so it's obviously there.

That about sums it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If you are setting up a WiFi capable router (as you are) using a computer that has no WiFi capability but is connected by the router via Ethernet, then you can ignore the wireless setup of the router. However if you expect that at some time other computers that are WiFi capable might want to connect to the router then you should still set up the router wireless settings, you should set the SSID (network name) and encryption for both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz). If you don’t plan to use the router WiFi at all, you can disable both bands so that the router will not transmit any WiFi signals at all and will only use wired connections (Ethernet cable).

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

HelpN750 wrote:
I have a LAN connected to the router into my computer and would like to be using the 5 Ghz network, but it has automatically set me up on the 2.4 Ghz network. I've tried every way I can think of of disconnecting and reconnecting and going on the NETGEAR Genie but nothing seems to work.

What has ‘automatically set me up on the 2.4 Ghz network’? Isn’t that the computer doing that? You say you have ‘tried every way I can think of of disconnecting and reconnecting’ but what did you try? Normally for a dual band WiFi adaptor all you need to do is use the option to ‘forget’ the 2.4GHz band connection, it will then ‘forget’ the encryption details and will not try to connect automatically, then you should scan for WiFi networks and try to connect to the 5GHz band, have you done that?
Message 2 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

It's not through the Wifi I have a LAN line connected to the router. Does it only work with the wifi?
Message 3 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I don't think you are making your situation or the problem clear.

You have only one LAN, LAN is a description of the Network (Local) you have only one. The 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands are just methods to access that LAN, just like an Ethernet cable is.
So with you computer connected to your LAN via I'm not sure what you problem is with WiFi?
Message 4 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

I apologize for not being clear. I literally have a cord connecting my computer to the router. Thats how i am getting my internet. There is no wifi involved. I guess its not called a LAN line, sorry about the confusion. I suppose that would be the ethernet then.

When i plug it into my computer I am on the 2.4 Ghz network automatically. I have tried disconnecting my internet and reconnecting it, unplugging and plugging it back in, I have gone on the router login and the Netgear genie to see if I can fix it but Im out of ideas, not that I had many to begin with. I dont understand why im not just getting something that asks me which one that I want to be on. On an old router it just asked me which one and hooked it up to that. Does that make sense?
Message 5 of 14
covillen1
Apprentice

I Just want to make sure I and everyone else understands your problem and your current set up.

Ok so you have a wired Ethernet connection from your router to your computer correct?

And you have a dual band router correct?

And your saying your problem is no matter which port you connect your computer to on the back of the router you are automatically placed on the
2.4 Ghz band and you want to be on the 5 Ghz band correct???
Message 6 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

HelpN750, from what I can understand of your issue, you seem to only want the computer to connect to the router via Ethernet (i.e. hard wired cable), I am still not entirely sure why in that case you are referring to the two wireless bands, is the computer also WiFi enabled to connect to the router?

You say ‘There is no wifi involved’ but then go on to discuss WiFi issues?

If your computer has more than one networking interface e.g. 10/100Mbps wired and something higher (e.g. 150Mbps) wireless, then the OS may well use the wireless connection in preference to the wired.

The OS may also be naming your internet connection based on what it has detected either wired or wireless, I have often seen my Win7 laptop naming my wired network connection with the same name as my Wireless SSID, even though I might have wireless disabled at that time.

Sorry, I understand it’s difficult to describe, but I’m still confused as to what your setup/issue is.
Message 7 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

Covillen, yes, that is exactly correct.

Is that the problem? Does this duel band situation only work with wifi and has nothing to do with wired internet?
Message 8 of 14
covillen1
Apprentice

OK I think I understand what’s going on but before I start explaining I need to make a few things clear so you don't get lost K :).
Ok so you have a WNDR4300 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Right?
Ok so this router supports both wired internet connection and wireless (Wi-Fi)
The ports on the back side of your router support 10/100/1000 data speeds. These ports will automatically switch between speeds depending on the connected device and your current ISP (internet service providers) bandwidth or data transfer rate. Now if you’re connected via Ethernet (wired connection) then the router will automatically pick the highest bandwidth speed. No action is needed on your part. If you’re connected by a wired connection you should have a icon box with a plug on it in the lower right hand corner of your task bar on your desk top. If you have the bars that means your connected wireless (Wi-Fi)

Next
You can only connect to the internet one of two ways wired or wireless. You can't do both at the same time. Check your icons to make sure how you’re connected.

The problem
I think your computer is connect to the network via preferred connect. Which mean it will choose to connect this way every time it connects to your network and in this cause it choosing to connect wireless to your 2.5 Ghz Which may be causing the confusing. Even though you have a wired connection it’s choosing to connect wireless. So I'll list some steps and see if this works for you.

Option 1
If you want to connect to the internet just by Ethernet (Wired) connection then you may need to disconnect or disable the wireless adapter. To do this (hopefully you have windows 7)
Start button/ Control panel / network and internet / Network and sharing center Click on the wireless connection and a display panel should pop up click disable. Now you will only be on a wired connection. you can also turn off all auto connections to all wireless connection. ( Option 3 )

Option 2
If your wanting to connect to your WiFi on the 5 Ghz frequency then try the following. Disconnect your wired connection. This will truly show you that you are connected to WiFi. Next look for your 5 Ghz network among your wireless connection. If you don’t see it try logging into the router and naming the 2.5 Ghz a different name then the 5 Ghz. Try something like Pick slow (2.5 Ghz) Pick me fast (5Ghz ) This way you can tell them apart. Also make sure to check the option (show SSID) this display the name of your network so you can see it. Save settings if need be and exit. Try looking for your network. It may take 2- 5min to appear. If it doesn’t try restarting router by unplugging it for 20 seconds and plug it back in. If all else fails reset the router and rename 2.5 Ghz and 5 Ghz and try again.

Option 3
Disable auto connected to 2.5 Ghz

Clicking wireless icon bar on the task bar in the right hand corner of your desktop. Select the wireless connection you want to disable and right click / properties / connection and uncheck connect automatically. This should stop the auto connection to the 2.5 Ghz wireless WiFi. Look for the network you want to connect automatically to and follow the same instruction but make sure auto connect is enable.

I know this was kinda of winded but I want to make sure you did get lost and understood. Let me know if any of these steps worked. 🙂
Message 9 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

HelpN750 wrote:
Does this duel band situation only work with wifi and has nothing to do with wired internet?

The 'Dual Band' thing is WiFi.

If you only want to connect your computer via Ethernet (wired), and it is wireless capable (has a WiFi device) then either disable that WiFi device or use its configuration utility to tell it to ‘forget’ any of your WiFi SSIDs that it might be trying to connect to.

So to be clear, do you only want to connect the computer in question via Ethernet (wired) and not wireless?
Message 10 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

Now if you’re connected via Ethernet (wired connection) then the router will automatically pick the highest bandwidth speed.

Alright. So it doesn't matter which network I'm on then? The router will give me the fastest internet automatically? Because that's kind of the end goal here. If the 2.4 is going to be the best then that's fine.

Thanks for taking the time to write the rest of that, by the way. Unfortunately none of it really applies because there's no WiFi being used on my computer.

Yes Andy that's correct.
Message 11 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

http://imgur.com/a/KQMdt

Okay I think I might have found my problem, and it might be a stupid one. So as you can see, I was initially confused because of the 'Wireless Settings' tab in the second picture saying 2.4 Ghz and I wanted it to be 5. But as you can see I'm not even connected via the WiFi.

So if I have this 100% clear, if I am connected via an ethernet crd the Dual Band system is totally irrelevant? Like it doesn't even run on a 2.4/5 Ghz network it's something totally different?
Message 12 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If you are setting up a WiFi capable router (as you are) using a computer that has no WiFi capability but is connected by the router via Ethernet, then you can ignore the wireless setup of the router. However if you expect that at some time other computers that are WiFi capable might want to connect to the router then you should still set up the router wireless settings, you should set the SSID (network name) and encryption for both bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz). If you don’t plan to use the router WiFi at all, you can disable both bands so that the router will not transmit any WiFi signals at all and will only use wired connections (Ethernet cable).
Message 13 of 14
HelpN750
Aspirant

Okay yeah its all configured then and they all have names. The wifi works fine on the other devices. Well thank you for all of your help!
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7