× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do i know my router wifi is locked?

fionna
Aspirant

How do i know my router wifi is locked?

when I got my router I was not told to lock it and someone was hacking it. I stopped using it and after a few months I am trying to connect it up. I went online and did what it said, but how can I be sure the router wifi is locked?  I am using netgear 44 model wnr1000v4

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do i know my router wifi is locked?

The Wi-Fi password is on the same screen where you select the Wireless Security Options.  Pick WPA2-PSK [AES] and a new option will appear to enter the Wi-Fi password.

It's a little fuzzy, but you can see an example at this link (it's for the WNR1000v3, but it should be the same as your model).  Look for Passphrase.  That's where you enter your Wi-Fi password.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Netgear/WNR1000v3/Basic_Wireless_Settings.htm

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The most surefire way to check is to log onto the router and look at the settings.

If you have computer that's already connected to the router, then enter routerlogin.net into the web browser.  This should take you to login screen for the router.  The default username and password are admin and password, respectively.  Once logged in, go to the Wireless Settings page.  Under Security Options, make sure it's not set to None.  Ideally, you should use WPA2-PSK [AES], because it's the most secure.  You will need to make up a Wi-Fi password (the same thing as a passphrase) and enter it.  Make sure to click Applto save your changes.  

If your computer was connected via Wi-Fi, then your Wi-Fi connection may drop.  You will need to reconnect, but this time you will be asked to enter the Wi-Fi password.  Enter the one that you made up and you should be connected.  Congratulations, your Wi-Fi network is now secure.

While you are at it, log back into the router and change the admin password. This is done by going to Maintenance, then Set Password.  This password is only used to log into the router for managing its settings.  It's different from the Wi-Fi password.  Write it down and store it somewhere safe.  Otherwise, you won't be able to log into the router without performing a factory reset (done by physically pushing the reset button for about 10 seconds).

Message 2 of 5
fionna
Aspirant

Thank you. I am confused about the passwords. Where do I go to make the wifi password?  I have only set up one password and that was the one that said user admin and password password. I went in and changed that password.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

The Wi-Fi password is on the same screen where you select the Wireless Security Options.  Pick WPA2-PSK [AES] and a new option will appear to enter the Wi-Fi password.

It's a little fuzzy, but you can see an example at this link (it's for the WNR1000v3, but it should be the same as your model).  Look for Passphrase.  That's where you enter your Wi-Fi password.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Netgear/WNR1000v3/Basic_Wireless_Settings.htm

Message 4 of 5
fionna
Aspirant

Thank you so much. It worked.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7