× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to configure a printer connected via Ethernet on AC1750/R6400

fjdarling
Aspirant

How to configure a printer connected via Ethernet on AC1750/R6400

Just bought an AC1750 model R6400 WiFi router and got some of my computers connected via WiFi and one desktop connected via Ethernet. I also have an Ethernet printer (Panasonic KX-MC6040) that I want to configure in the R6400 so all computers can continue sharing it. I had this printer working on my previous router through Ethernet using a static IP, which worked fine. 

On the Advanced tab, I went into the Setup/LAN Setup page, Address Reservations section, and added the printer with its IP address and MA address. Then I went into the router's Security/Access Control page On the Advanced tab and added the printer with its MAC address. The printer is only in the list of "allowed devices not currently connected". I can't get it to move up into the list of devices that are currently connected. So, I don't think the router "sees" the printer on the Ethernet. I tried removing and reconfiguring the IP address on the printer, and tried restarting the printer several times. I also tried removing and re-adding its static IP from the router. 

Do I need to do something else to get this printer to work on this router?

Also, I should mention that the reason I replaced my previous router (and my cable modem) is because lightning hit the cable near my house a few nights ago and I suspect it fried the cable modem's Internet port and the router's Internet port. The cable company could still see my cable modem and all my computers could still see the router, but the cable modem and router couldn't see each other. My wired desktop still communicated with the old router after the lightning strike, but couldn't get to the Internet. Anyway, I don't know if the printer's Ethernet port is damaged, too. How can I tell?

Any help is appreciated!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
fjdarling
Aspirant

Re: How to configure a printer connected via Ethernet on AC1750/R6400

Connected the printer to my PC via USB and it worked...then connected the printer to the router's USB 2.0 printer port and it worked. So, I'm going to leave it like that for now and tackle other more urgent issues on other PC's. 

Thanks for your reminder about the Ethernet LED's...I will keep it in mind when I revisit this issue. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
William10a
Master

Is the green led lighting up or blinking by the lan port of the printer?

You could try pinging the printer's ip address.

Message 2 of 4
fjdarling
Aspirant

No green or yellow lights. unable to ping the IP address. Going to try a direct USB connection from computer to printer (not throught the router) to see if the printer works at all. Maybe it was fried, too...? 'Sorry for the delay in responding; my final two weeks at work were very hectic...plenty of time now.

Thanks for your suggestion! 

Message 3 of 4
fjdarling
Aspirant

Connected the printer to my PC via USB and it worked...then connected the printer to the router's USB 2.0 printer port and it worked. So, I'm going to leave it like that for now and tackle other more urgent issues on other PC's. 

Thanks for your reminder about the Ethernet LED's...I will keep it in mind when I revisit this issue. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7