× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to connect fibre optic cable to router with LAN port

donalcorr
Aspirant

How to connect fibre optic cable to router with LAN port

I have a fibre optic cable incoming to an ONS, on the way out of the ONS is also a fibre optic cable which goes directly into a router which has a fibre optic port. The router is Wifi 4 and I want to upgrade to wifi 6, but I can't find a router which supports wifi 6 that has a fibre optic port for the current cable to plug into. 

Is there a wifi 6 router that has a fibre optic port? or is there a workaround for this in which I can have fibre optic cable from the ONS going into some sort of electronic device and have a LAN cable coming out which then goes to the new wifi 6 router?  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
donalcorr
Aspirant

Thinking about your reply, maybe what I thought was an ONT in my premises is not an ONT, instead it is just a box which basically connects 2 fibre optic cables together which then goes directly to the router, and maybe the Nokia router has an ONS built into it. So maybe I need to look at buying an ONT, and then plug the fibre optic into it first and then run a LAN cable from it to a new router..... I think that is what you have suggested.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No. For any FIBER ISP service, there has to be a Fiber ONT device that converts the Fiber optic signal to a ethernet RJ45 port connection. Talk with the ISP about what is needed to be used for there services. They will have this information. 

Message 2 of 10
donalcorr
Aspirant

surely there has to be routers out there that have fibre optic ports, but having searched a lot on the net, I can find any.... which is strange because fibre optic is common now, so why are router manufacturers not selling routers with fibre optic ports??? 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

That's something that most router Mfr may not have licensing to work with nor want to get into since most Fiber services are handled by the ISP only and may not have the support resources for nor want to support that additional HW at the router level. Most ISP Fiber is handled at the ISP or Specific ONT mfr level. Not a the consumer router level. Maybe but it's still competing with the Cable ISP level as well which is still going strong and not going anywhere anytime soon. There no consumer class router that has ONT/Fiber support here. 

So get a ONT then you can connect up any consumer router to it. 

Message 4 of 10
donalcorr
Aspirant

Thinking about your reply, maybe what I thought was an ONT in my premises is not an ONT, instead it is just a box which basically connects 2 fibre optic cables together which then goes directly to the router, and maybe the Nokia router has an ONS built into it. So maybe I need to look at buying an ONT, and then plug the fibre optic into it first and then run a LAN cable from it to a new router..... I think that is what you have suggested.  

Message 5 of 10

@donalcorr wrote:

and maybe the Nokia router has an ONS built into it.

What's an ONS?

It isn't doesn't appears anywhere in the 1200 Netgear documents I have filed away.

The again nor does ONT, but at least Google can find stuff, although there are disagreements on the exact meaning..

Message 6 of 10
donalcorr
Aspirant

Hi, 

Apologies, that was a typo. I meant to write ONT.... 

It would appear that the Nokia router has an ONT built in as opposed to the ONT being a separate unit. 

Regards Donal

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Some ONT mfrs have built in routers with the ONT. Nokia is one I believe. Calis is another I think. 

Most home router mfrs otherwise don't have ONT support in there router systems. They leave that up to the ISP and ONT mfrs. 

Message 8 of 10
donalcorr
Aspirant

That's exactly right, this is why I have now ordered an ONT which I will connect in between the fibre termination station and the new router which only connects by LAN cable. Hopefully all will be good. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be all you need. Get with the ISP for any ONT configurations that maybe needed from here side. 

All you might need after that is a power off of the ONT after you connect the external wifi router to it. Then back ON with both. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7