× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I've just upgraded my internet plan to a higher speed, but unfortunately, I haven't noticed imprv?

jessicaalex
Aspirant

I've just upgraded my internet plan to a higher speed, but unfortunately, I haven't noticed imprv?

Dear Netgear community members,

I hope you're all doing well. I recently decided to upgrade my internet plan to a higher speed with the expectation of enjoying faster Wi-Fi speeds. Unfortunately, despite the upgrade, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my Wi-Fi performance. This has left me puzzled, and I'm reaching out to seek your valuable assistance in troubleshooting this issue.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could guide me on the factors I should take into consideration when trying to resolve this problem. My goal is to ensure that I explore all the necessary steps to identify the underlying cause of the persistently slow Wi-Fi speeds, even after upgrading my internet plan.

If any of you have insights, tips, or troubleshooting suggestions to share, I would be truly grateful. Your support and expertise in this matter are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Thanks & Regards 

jessicaalex

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: I've just upgraded my internet plan to a higher speed, but unfortunately, I haven't noticed impr

Which router model?
Which firmware?
How fast do you get on WiFi?
Which WiFi band (2.4/5 GHz?) and which WiFi client do you use to test?
How fast is your new Internet plan upgrade?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: I've just upgraded my internet plan to a higher speed, but unfortunately, I haven't noticed impr

Which router model?
Which firmware?
How fast do you get on WiFi?
Which WiFi band (2.4/5 GHz?) and which WiFi client do you use to test?
How fast is your new Internet plan upgrade?
Message 2 of 5

As @microchip8 points out, there isn't much in your message that tells us anything about things at your end, beyond the fact that you have an Internet service. So what follows is based on the usual things that apply to everyone.

If you own a Netgear router, then you should reset the thing to give it a chance to adapt its connection settings to the new Internet service.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You may have to do the same thing to whatever modem you have to connect to the Internet.

Unfortunately, despite the upgrade, I haven't noticed any significant improvement in my Wi-Fi performance.

What is your idea of WiFi performance? Faster Internet speeds may well do nothing for your WiFi. It certainly won't make it go any further. The range has nothing to do with the speed.

Even the WiFi speed may not change. That is down to the wifi clients you use. Your mobile phone, for example, can't go any faster just because your Internet is faster.

The way to test your new Internet service is to forget about the WiFi. Check the speed with a wired connection. The best way is with a PC using something like the Ookla Speedtest app.

Message 3 of 5
jessicaalex
Aspirant

Hi @microchip8 I wanted to bring your attention to an issue I was experiencing with the speed of my internet connection. Upon investigating, I discovered that the cable connecting my router had not been properly connected. As a result, this improper connection was causing a degradation in the performance of my internet service.

I am writing to express my sincere appreciation for the assistance provided in resolving this matter promptly. With the help and guidance received, I was able to rectify the problem and ensure a stable and efficient internet connection.

Thank you all for your attention and support in addressing this issue. Your prompt response and valuable input were instrumental in resolving the problem. I am grateful for the knowledge and expertise shared within this community.

thank you 

Thanks & Regards 

jessicaalex 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Might give model# of your router next time. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7