× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is Wndr4300 VPN ready?

ryanowitz
Aspirant

Is Wndr4300 VPN ready?

If it isn't, can you offer any advice about how to get it ready? I have seen dd-wrt.com for "flashing" (about which I know nothing) and am concerned that I'll destroy the router if I try it.

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Is Wndr4300 VPN ready?

Nordvpn seems to be a popular service.  Ok, you are looking for VPN client support.  Alas, none of Netgear's routers have native support.  You will have to install DD-WRT.  Frankly, it's not for the faint of heart.  It has a steep learning curve and there is always a risk of bricking the router.  Given that you are having issues, this may be the excuse to buy a new router.  Beware, many routers are not very fast with support OpenVPN, which what Nordvpn can use.  If you have fast Internet service, be prepared to see slower speeds.  VPN services are a realm where PCs or machines with Intel processors handle much better.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

What do you mean by "VPN ready"?  Are you looking for VPN client or server support?

Message 2 of 5
ryanowitz
Aspirant

Alas, I'm not sure, but I would guess client (I'm not terribly well experienced around hardware).

Here's what I am trying to do, or make sure I can do: I want to subscripe to a VPN service (NORDvpn in particular), and I want my wndr4300 to use this service so that all devices in the home are protected just by communicating via the router.

For this, I'm told that if my router is NOT "VPN ready," or whatever the correct term is, I'll have to flash something via dd-wrt, and I'm scared to do it. So it would be nice if the router is already "VPN ready."

A related question that I didn't ask: I've had this router 3.5 years. It worked virtually flawlessly until a couple of months ago, and since then has, with some regularity, needed rebooting because the wireless and/or ethernet stopped working. So I'm wondering whether the router is dying and I should just by a new one that is definitely "VPN ready."

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Nordvpn seems to be a popular service.  Ok, you are looking for VPN client support.  Alas, none of Netgear's routers have native support.  You will have to install DD-WRT.  Frankly, it's not for the faint of heart.  It has a steep learning curve and there is always a risk of bricking the router.  Given that you are having issues, this may be the excuse to buy a new router.  Beware, many routers are not very fast with support OpenVPN, which what Nordvpn can use.  If you have fast Internet service, be prepared to see slower speeds.  VPN services are a realm where PCs or machines with Intel processors handle much better.

Message 4 of 5
ryanowitz
Aspirant

Thanks for your thorough, thoughtful answer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7