× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it Charter or is it Netgear?

redbaron1234
Aspirant

Is it Charter or is it Netgear?

Have Charter Spectrum and Netgear WNDR3400 router. Many years. Today tried accessing USPS site for tracking. Access denied. Tried accessing any USPS site. Access denied. Tried two computers and tablet. Access denied. It is only this single domain, USPS. Can reach the USPS websites using a cell phone.

Called Charter. They had outage that she advised may have affected DNS. After outage resolved, reboot all and try again. Access denied. Failing that, hook up modem directly to computer. Works.

I know Charter has dynamic ISP and maybe I got a bum address, but rebooted computer and it isn't that. Still Access denied. Is there anything you can think of that would lead one to believe this still might be a Charter issue as opposed to a Netgear issue? Any communication between the modem and router that might possibly cause this issue? No addresses are blocked with Netgear router. Firewall doesn't come into play as the tablet doesn't have one, yet still Access Denied.

Have searched Internet and found a very few cases about Access Denied, but no resolution.

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
redbaron1234
Aspirant

Re: Is it Charter or is it Netgear?

Elaine, thanks for your response.   While I was waiting to see if someone had any thoughts about the situation and venting to myself a bit, I went into my router's admin page last night again to see if I could spot anything.  I guess I was looking to see if I saw anything showing USPS domain was blocked.  It wasn't.  I noticed, though, under Block Sites that under Trusted IP addresses it was showing my LAN address.  Changed it to my static Charter IP address (which is not default as Charter uses dynamic IP addresses), did not check off Allow trusted IP address to visit blocked sites, clicked apply, and tried to open USPS sites.  It worked. 

Frankly, I don't get it, but can now access USPS websites.  Strangest thing, since only a single domain (of which I'm aware), but if I start experiencing other Access Denied messages from other domains, will dig into it some more.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @redbaron1234

Compare the DNS addresses that you get when you bypass the router and when you include the router in your network setup.

That DNS address should be listed in the admin page of the router under Internet Port. 

Try to power cycle by turning off the modem, router and computer.

If the same thing happens, see the link below.

No Internet with new router - MAC spoofing

Message 2 of 7
redbaron1234
Aspirant

Elaine, thanks for your response.   While I was waiting to see if someone had any thoughts about the situation and venting to myself a bit, I went into my router's admin page last night again to see if I could spot anything.  I guess I was looking to see if I saw anything showing USPS domain was blocked.  It wasn't.  I noticed, though, under Block Sites that under Trusted IP addresses it was showing my LAN address.  Changed it to my static Charter IP address (which is not default as Charter uses dynamic IP addresses), did not check off Allow trusted IP address to visit blocked sites, clicked apply, and tried to open USPS sites.  It worked. 

Frankly, I don't get it, but can now access USPS websites.  Strangest thing, since only a single domain (of which I'm aware), but if I start experiencing other Access Denied messages from other domains, will dig into it some more.

Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's really odd. 

The checkbox for Allow trusted IP address is not even checked and it worked?

Really odd. 

If you see additional things, let us know. 

Message 4 of 7
Terrilp
Aspirant

I think i'm having the same type of issue, only my problem is with Amazon. I also have Charter.  If I restart my computer, I can usually access their site for a few minutes, and then I lose the connection.  My Phone will not connect either if i'm using Wifi.  Today I bypassed the router, and everything works just fine.  I tried to follow the above instructions about the Trusted Ip but it did not work for me:(  Super Frustrating, not sure why Only Amazon is affected by this.  I've tried rebooting the router, turning everything off and then back on.  I'm not sure who's problem this is, Charter's or the Router? 

Thanks,

Terri

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 5 of 7
redbaron1234
Aspirant

Terri,

Since Charter has dynamic IP addresses, just decided to look up my IP address online.  Just type IP address in a Google search and it will show you what that address is. Then, whatever that address is, show it in the area I indicated under the Netgear admin Blocked Sites (make a record of the address you are replacing so you can put it back to the original if it doesn't work).  I don't know whether checking or not checking makes a difference.  It worked for me when I didn't check it, so didn't want to mess up a good thing by putting in a checkmark.  Maybe try it both ways if one or the other doesn't work for you. 

Interestingly enough, the address that is identified as my public address is also what Charter shows as my static address, although my default is for Charter to use dynamic IP addresses.   Dunno.  For the life of me I can't figure out how a site/domain that I have used for more moons that I can count suddenly tells me Access Denied.  I mean, the USPS.  Beyond me how or why I should be denied access to that or who is responsible, Charter or Netgear or some nefarious evildoer playing with some of us.  Dunno.

My case may be just pure dumb luck in finding a solution that worked for me.

Message 6 of 7
Terrilp
Aspirant

After re-reading this post, i compared the dns with and without my router attached.  I noticed two different dns numbers.  I shut everything down for more than a few minutes, crossed my fingers... and now my numbers are the same:)  I think this "may" have solved my issue.  I've wasted too many days trying to solve this issue, i sure hope this is the answer! 

Terri

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7