× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is it possible to get a device on 5ghz band to see another device on the 2.4ghz band?

gollywoger
Aspirant

Is it possible to get a device on 5ghz band to see another device on the 2.4ghz band?

Hi Community.

First, apologies, I dont know the all the correct jargon and terminology.

Situation:

I have a R6220, that transmits both on 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously. The router admin page will not allow both bands to have the same SSID, however the genie App did allow me to force identical SSIDs. What I describe below happens regardless of whether the 2.5 and 5ghz bands have the same SSID or different ones.

-I have a phone and a laptop that happily connect to the 5ghz band.

-I have a airprint printer, airplay speaker, and my wife's phone only connect to the 2.4ghz band.

The devices in the 5ghz band cannot see those in the 2.4ghz band and vice versa.

ie:

-the the 5ghz phone and laptop cannot print or stream music unless I change thier bands.

-the 2.4ghz wife' phone cannot connect to the laptop unless I change the laptops band

Is there a setting or way I am missing where I can force the router to make the connections between all devices without having to change bands?

The intention would be for the two fast devices can take advantage of the 5ghz, but still see and interact with those in the 2ghz.

Cheers

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Adewale
Luminary

Re: Is it possible to get a device on 5ghz band to see another device on the 2.4ghz band?

From your post, all your devices should be able to see each other. All ports and wireless bands are part of the VLAN. Change the SSID back to the default names

Don't know why the ISP asked you to setup a VLAN though...reset the router and see if the router will still be able to get access to Internet with your ISP. If it can then you don't need the VLAN

Reconnect all your devices and see if they can see each other

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Adewale
Luminary

Re: Is it possible to get a device on 5ghz band to see another device on the 2.4ghz band?

you absolutely don't need to change the SSID of the different bands.....all devices connected to the same router can see each other...unless you are a geek and you set up VLANs by yourself

the problem is most likely from windows designating the router as a public network which disables filesharing. once you reset the network to private, file and printer sharing will be enabled 

Message 2 of 5
gollywoger
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. It is intersting that you mentioned VLAN. In the setup instructions from the ISP it said to enable VLAN. At the time I thought I wonder what this is. So my VLAN settings are thus:

VLAN/IPTV Setup

Enable VLAN Tag: [Ticked]

Name: Internet

VLAN ID: 10

Priority: 0

Wired Devices: LANs 1,2,3, and 4 [all Ticked]

Wireless Devices: 2.4ghz and 5ghz [both ticked], Guest Wifi [not ticked]

Do you think I should turn all this stuff off to gain wireless conectivitiy between the 5ghz macbook 5ghz iphone and the 2.4ghz wireless speaker and printer? Should I also revert to seperate SSIDs?

Many Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 5
Adewale
Luminary

From your post, all your devices should be able to see each other. All ports and wireless bands are part of the VLAN. Change the SSID back to the default names

Don't know why the ISP asked you to setup a VLAN though...reset the router and see if the router will still be able to get access to Internet with your ISP. If it can then you don't need the VLAN

Reconnect all your devices and see if they can see each other
Message 4 of 5
gollywoger
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your response.

The ISP has finally got back to me on this. Regarding the VLAN, they tell me this has something to do with the way they (in particular) provide fibre services.

After doing some tests, they reckon its a problem with my specifc rounter model and are going to send me something different! Hopefully that will sort it out!.

Many thanks for the help

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7