× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is my router going bad?

Tazzman1180
Aspirant

Is my router going bad?

I am getting an organge light from my cable provided modem to my netgear router.  Is the problem with the modem or my router?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Tazzman1180
Aspirant

Re: Is my router going bad?

Turns out the modem needed to be replaced.  Thanks for trying to help figure it out.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@Tazzman1180 wrote:

I am getting an organge light from my cable provided modem to my netgear router.  Is the problem with the modem or my router?  Thanks.

We need more info to better assist you. 

What modem is it? What light is orange? is it solid orange or flashing?

Router model and firmware? What are its led's doing? 

Message 2 of 8
Tazzman1180
Aspirant

The cable provided modem is Arris.  The orange light is solid and goes from the Arris to the router.  Not sure of the firmware.  I can tell you that the dektop computer works off the same Arris modem and has internet connection.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you look at the back, it'll have a model number. This helps a lot.

Again you say the light is orange and it goes from the arris to the router.  Still not helpful. Is this the light on the back of the arris where the ethernet adapter plugs in or is this on the front where it should have power/upstream/downstream/ethernet. 

What router model are you using. Again look on the back. Go to netgear.com/support and type in your model number. This'll take you to the downloads, manual, quick install guide. This will tell you have to check your firmware. 

You haven't stated exactly what the problem is either. You can hook directly to the modem with the computer and it works. When you're hooked to the router it doesnt? What happens. What are the lights on the router doing? Be specific. which light (it'll list them in the manual), what color is the light, blinking/solid etc. 

The more help and details you can give, the better I can assist you. 

Message 4 of 8
Tazzman1180
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion.  I am using my Netgear modem as an extension wi-fi.  I have a cable plugged into the Arris leading to the Netgear and that plug is the one that is solid orange.  I am not am home right now so I cannot provide the model number at this time.  I can tell you that it is an older model (bought it about 7 years ago).

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

When you get home, those extra details will help. 

is the Arris new?

You state you're using it as an wifi extension to your arris. Are you trying to use it in AP mode or how are you doing this? Without knowing those prior details I asked for and the arris model (modem/router/combo device) troubleshooting would be a challenge.  As well as whats the true problem. What is it doing/not doing?

If its the ethernet cable plug thats "orange" is usually means that you're connected at less than gigabit speeds.  Usually true if the router is older and just a 10/100 device and not a 10/100/1000 device. Doesn't mean its bad, just means its connected a at slower speed. 

Message 6 of 8

@Tazzman1180 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.  I am using my Netgear modem as an extension wi-fi.

And that Netgear modem is? (Model number?)

How is it set up? As a wireless access point?

What is the make and model of the cable provided modem? Is it also a router?

Message 7 of 8
Tazzman1180
Aspirant

Turns out the modem needed to be replaced.  Thanks for trying to help figure it out.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7