× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Keep having to refressh my connection

JohnnyWB
Tutor

Keep having to refressh my connection

I have the N600 WIFI Router WNDR3400V2 and all of a sudden, the last 3 months I am having to refresh my router's connection to the Internet, after a bit of idleness.  I don't understand why this is happening as it has never done this prior to now.  It started before I made the switch to Windows 10, when it was a Windows 7 PC.  Does anybody know of anything I can do on my end that will stop or reduce this occurance.

Oh, by the way, I appreciate the answers I got on my couple of posts, the change of SSID and password works wonders for cleaning out un wanted guests and what not.

Thanks

Johnny

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
doraemon
Prodigy

Re: Keep having to refressh my connection

it's a possibility that the router is starting to degrade.

normally, this should have been corrected by loading the latest firmware and resetting the unit.

however, in your case it's different it seems that it's giving additional problems as you continue to rectify the problem.

perhaps, it's time to get a newer router and be happy Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

how do you refresh the router? 

you turn off and on?

when this happens, what LED lights are lit on the router?

do you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

Message 2 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

I do have the latest drivers for my router and when I find I am having a problem connecting, I will go to my NetGear Genie, open it up and it will show me.  If it is down, I will click on the panel, the middle one on the top row, of 6 in total.  Once I am there, I will find my router name, log in, click on it, and then it the refresh or connect button to get it to come back up.  Only if I can't get it back up will I shut the router down but that is very rare indeed.

Thanks for your response and I hope I have given you enough information.  If not, let me know.

Thanks for taking you time like this.

Johnny

Message 3 of 7
doraemon
Prodigy

ok, so the firmware version on your router is 1.0.0.52, just making sure. 

do you have other computers that are affected? 

if computers are directly connected with wire to the router, will it do the same thing or it's just for the wireless connection?

one thing you may do is to reset and reconfigure the router. push the reset button on the router for 20 seconds then reconfigure. 

Message 4 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

The only computer that seems to be affected is my main computer and that is directly hooked to the router.  At first, I thought it was just a Windows 10 problem but I remember that I also had issues while it was a Windows 7 unit, and nothing has changed.  I have also eliminated all the problem devices that originally sparked my original post, of which this is an off-spring post.  Only a select few can now acces my WIFI at this time.   Now, I will also say that this unit, is a well used 3 to 4 year old veteran, if you will.  Now could that have something to do with it dropping the signal and do you think it may be time to replace it with much newer technology?

Thanks again for your help and info.

Johnny

Message 5 of 7
doraemon
Prodigy

it's a possibility that the router is starting to degrade.

normally, this should have been corrected by loading the latest firmware and resetting the unit.

however, in your case it's different it seems that it's giving additional problems as you continue to rectify the problem.

perhaps, it's time to get a newer router and be happy Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
JohnnyWB
Tutor

That is the conclusion that I am leaning to.  So I will now get a replacement unit and go from there and hopefully, with the newer technology, it will cure the problem completely and give me much more flexibility.

thanks,

Johny

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7