× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN PORT ISOLATION

Pangear
Aspirant

LAN PORT ISOLATION

Does anyone know whether there is an effective packet isolation between Ethernet LAN ports on this router when a device with NIC connected to any of four LAN ports broadcasts with a destination MAC address: "FF: FF :...: FF" other LAN ports do not see that message  ?

In other words, between any LAN ports exists an effective router isolation. There are routers where such isolation does not exist.

Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Pangear
Aspirant

Re: LAN PORT ISOLATION

Everything was correct in my message.

I found that any SOHO type routers including Netgear's do not provide isolation between their LAN ports by a simple test pinging from PC connected to a LAN port through the router gateway to another LAN port where is connected my device.

Probably, I would get the needed isolation by cascading two routers together and doing the same test.

Why is needed to have an isolation ? I created a home network using 3 Netgear's PLCs and 2 TP-Link's devices. Everything regarding the two-way communications worked out when I connected one TP-Link's PLC to my router's LAN1 port and one Netgear's PLC to LAN2 port

accordingly.

However, I noticed an issue with TP-Links's Utility when it broadcasts a message "Who is there ?"  Netgear's PLCs respond but

TP-Link's do not have a chance - "no device connected". Using (activating ) Netgear's Genie, it discovers all five powerline devices.

So, the culprit is the backdoor path from LAN port through router to other LAN port. In my opinion, it is equired an upgrade/

improvement with TP-Link PLC Utility instead of finding more complex a hardware layout solution. We exchanged a number of emails

with an engineer in Shenzen, China where TP-Link, LTD. is located.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Model: R6250|Smart WiFi Router (AC1600)

Is that accurate?  Firmware version?

> Does anyone know [...]

Not I.

> [...] broadcasts with a destination MAC address: "FF: FF :...: FF"
> [...]

What, exactly, are you doing with an/any explicit MAC address?  Have
you tried/considered using a broadcast IP address?

Is there some actual problem which you are trying to solve?

Message 2 of 3
Pangear
Aspirant

Everything was correct in my message.

I found that any SOHO type routers including Netgear's do not provide isolation between their LAN ports by a simple test pinging from PC connected to a LAN port through the router gateway to another LAN port where is connected my device.

Probably, I would get the needed isolation by cascading two routers together and doing the same test.

Why is needed to have an isolation ? I created a home network using 3 Netgear's PLCs and 2 TP-Link's devices. Everything regarding the two-way communications worked out when I connected one TP-Link's PLC to my router's LAN1 port and one Netgear's PLC to LAN2 port

accordingly.

However, I noticed an issue with TP-Links's Utility when it broadcasts a message "Who is there ?"  Netgear's PLCs respond but

TP-Link's do not have a chance - "no device connected". Using (activating ) Netgear's Genie, it discovers all five powerline devices.

So, the culprit is the backdoor path from LAN port through router to other LAN port. In my opinion, it is equired an upgrade/

improvement with TP-Link PLC Utility instead of finding more complex a hardware layout solution. We exchanged a number of emails

with an engineer in Shenzen, China where TP-Link, LTD. is located.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7