× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LAN links down

kidspice
Aspirant

LAN links down

I recently powercycled and factory reset my  WNR2500 as we were having connectivity issues. I know have the wireless functioning properly. However, none of the lan line ports funtion. When I connect my laptop via wire, it now says "nmc-net-guest no internet access". I had a bluray player connected via cat5 as well that has no internet access.

When I check the status of the lan links, all four say "link down".

Anybody recognize this or have any ideas of a fix?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: LAN links down

@kidspice Under the router admin page, do you have an IP address under Internet port?

The configuration of the router depends on what kind of Internet connection you have from your ISP.

Normally, if your ISP is cable you will select "Use computer MAC Address" then you should be getting an IP address on the Internet port.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @kidspice,

Welcome to the community!

Will you get LAN ports to be lit when you connect the cables on the router? Try to do a cable loop by connecting both ends of an Ethernet cable to the LAN ports. Example, connect one end to port 1 and the other end on port 2. If it don't get lights, ports are busted and it's considered a hardware failure. If you still have warranty for this router, get a replacement.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
kidspice
Aspirant

HI, thanks for the welcome! Yes, I get port lights when either creating a loop or plugging into my laptop. This inability to use the lan line was all of a sudden and all 4 went down at once right after I had done a factory reset and a powercycle . WHen i plug in, I stay on wifi and when I hover my cursor over my network below my Wifi network name it says no internet with the LAN line icon.

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kidspice What's the IP address of your computer when you direct connect your laptop to the router?

The IP address should be in the same range of IP when you connect to the WiFi.

Kindly post a screenshot of the result when you do IPconfig.

Looking forward to your response.

Message 4 of 8
kidspice
Aspirant

The IPs are in the same range i think.

Capture ip.PNG

I should say at this point that nothing works when plugged in via the ports. I learned that there was an issue when my wired bluray stopped working and when the kids' xboxes stopped working via ethernet.

IS there something I need to reset with the MAC addresses on the router? Currently i'm uding the "use this MAC address" option under internet settings on the router.

could it be something to do with whether or not I have a dynamic IP or static?

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kidspice Under the router admin page, do you have an IP address under Internet port?

The configuration of the router depends on what kind of Internet connection you have from your ISP.

Normally, if your ISP is cable you will select "Use computer MAC Address" then you should be getting an IP address on the Internet port.

Message 6 of 8
kidspice
Aspirant

THAT'S IT! Elaine, I wish I could buy you a drink! Thank You!  I switched that option, promptly lost all connections, did a power cycle and bingo bango! I am tyoing this via a wired connection again.All the other reponses I got elsewhere said" BUmmer, you probably need a new router". I'm going to fool myself into thinking I played a part in this solution as I did reference which setting I was using for the MAC address.

I'm at lease 3/4 computer illiterate.....Thanks Again Mod Elaine, you're the bees knees!

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@kidspice That's awesome! You're welcome!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7