× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Latest update bug: R6400 Firmware DNS issue (V1.0.1.74_1.0.48)

Latest update bug: R6400 Firmware DNS issue (V1.0.1.74_1.0.48)

This latest update broke DNS resolving, so it randomly cuts out and doesn't resolve anything. Random web pages will just error out. Connection to generic services won't work at all.

More can be seen here https://www.reddit.com/r/NETGEAR/comments/ozx8l7/netgear_r6400_dns_breaks_after_firmware_v10168/

Please fix.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 50

Accepted Solutions

It's apparent that since the DNS problem arose, subsequent and unrelated updates have made the router(s) even worse. In fact, I think Netgear is imploding as we speak.

“Way to go Disney! I have disabled automatic updates because the last update from Netgear slowed my router down so much. I had to downgrade to a much older version that did not include the armour guard application to get my full isp speed back. I am afraid that this new patch will come with the same application that I had to get rid of that slowed down my router. Maybe it is time for a new wifi 6 router from a different company.”
“the same issue with the 6400v2 downgraded the firmware which helped get more speed but ultimately bought a new router the Rax50 to keep up with the speeds much happier now.”

Source: PCMag comments / Netgear forum

I do however have a solution to my issue; I bought a non-Netgear branded router. Are you looking for a router with stability, performance and industry standard updates that don't break the the product altogether? Look no further.

Buy anything but Netgear today. Special thanks to @olympos1625 for logging in the forum every day and ignoring everyone while having the time to respond to new threads. I hope everyone else gets a working router sometime soon because this is verging on class action territory when the product isn't end of life. Oh, how the mighty fall.

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 50

All Replies

I'll be downgrading instead as this isn't new and I didn't know my router version before I opted to manually upgrade.

I'd like to personally thank Netgear for breaking products which could spur people into buying a Nigh----- I mean, for providing excellent updates.

Message 2 of 50
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI NamelessPerson,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the router. May we know if you reset the router after updating the firmware to the latest version? If not, please do so and see if you still encounter the same issue. If still you are getting the same issue after resetting the router to factory default after updating the firmware, please DM us the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 3 of 50
Buck_Rogers
Initiate

I had the exact same problem as NamelessPerson.

And yes, I reset my router and that solved nothing except disrupted the home internet...I ended up reverting back to V1.0.1.68_1.0.43

And with that, the DNS resolving problem was resolved.

Please quickly fix the firmware so I can get whatever security issues were addressed.

Message 4 of 50
dukdukgoos
Initiate

Same issue. Breaking DNS in an firmware update is pretty facepalm Netgear. Be better!

Message 5 of 50
bouncdchk
Initiate

Oh thank goodness it's not just me.  I was going crazy cause I thought it might have been the new Windows update but my router updated at the same time.

I did a reset, tried setting the DNS manually to Google and Cloudflaire and still had the same issue.  I was starting to think it was something else.

I finally rolled back my firmware to version V1.0.4.106_10.0.80 and that seems to have fixed my issue.

Message 6 of 50

@dukdukgoos wrote:

Breaking DNS in an firmware update is pretty facepalm Netgear.

Breaking it is bad, but not detecting the bug before release, and then not responding when the problem comes up here, is even worse.

Meanwhile, roll back to the previous version.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 50
The_PCMaven
Aspirant

I too had same DNS problem... it's outrageous that this was not detected before release.

Message 8 of 50

@olympos1625

Downgrading to V1.0.1.68 and then resetting the router worked for me - someone else said that of V1.0.1.70. I am not going to trial updating again just to encounter the same problem (other people are using the network for important work). Please refer to the other comments in this thread and:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/DNS-gt-PROBE-FINISHED-NXDOMAIN-error-since-l...

https://www.reddit.com/r/NETGEAR/comments/ozx8l7/netgear_r6400_dns_breaks_after_firmware_v10168/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NETGEAR/comments/p4uu3i/router_r6400v2_keeps_giving_me_page_cannot_be/

This is a firmware issue and we'd appreciate an update as to whether or not you intend on fixing it with a reasonable ETA.

Message 9 of 50
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NamelessPerson,

Thank you for your response. We are sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused you. We have forwarded some users already to our Level 2 Support for further assistance. We will update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 10 of 50
thardin
Aspirant

Same here. R6700v3. Been nothing but trouble this last year. Requiring daily or every other day power cycles. Now with the latest firmware I get DNS issues on all devices. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

I am experiencing the same issues discussed in this thread on multiple devices with my R6400 after installing the latest firmware (V1.0.1.74_1.0.48.) Please fix this firmware issue. This is wildly annoying.

Message 12 of 50
golfnut1969
Guide

I had the same issue.  The problem is with Firmware version 1.0.1.74_1.0.0.48.  This can be found all over Reddit and this community forum, but it looks like NetGear is not accepting responsibility.  They're instead telling people it's a problem with their firewall or with thier internet server providers DNS resolution.  I've been using this router for 5 years without any issues until this update.  

There are also documented cases of running wireshark to track the dns errors.  Many are detected on resolving DNS inside the network (like the router's own IP address), so the Firewall and ISP DNS resolution aren't even in play.  

I didn't want to do a factory reset because I have way to many advanced configurations set up in my router to go through setting up again.

I ended up rolling back to a previous version and then ran these commands in an elevated command prompt and it looks like it might have fixed the problems. 

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

Message 13 of 50
dukdukgoos
Initiate

Just make sure to downgrade to V1.0.1.68_1.0.43. The issue is completely resolved by that version. The broken version isn't even available for updating through the firmware anymore, so they know there's an issue with it. Hopefully the next update will fix it, but if it doesn't have V1.0.1.68_1.0.43 handy so you can downgrade again if necessary.

Message 14 of 50
JonnieChimpo
Aspirant

Same issue as everyone else with V1.0.1.74_1.0.48. I haven't downgraded my firmware yet but probably will soon since it seems that Netgear has not acknowledged the problem and it seems like their support staff is going to go in circles reading their scripts on how to disable firewalls and blaming the ISP. Has anyone successfully and painfully gotten Netgear to escalate this issue?

Message 15 of 50

Netgear forum staff don't even know how the Access Control feature works when helping someone troubleshoot; they always default to reset and hope for the best. Why would they be able to communicate being proactive about something like this?

As far as I can tell they are kicking the can down the road because the model will just be replaced by people who have an issue. It absolutely reeks of racketeering if I've ever seen it.

Message 16 of 50
The_PCMaven
Aspirant

I've run this experiment twice now. After ugrading to 1.0.1.74, DNS errors across all my network. I've downgraded now to V1.0.1.68_1.0.43 and not a problem in the world, everthing is perfect! There's no way this is "something" in my network.

C'mon Netgear... admit the error and fix it!

Message 17 of 50
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Guys, 

Thank you for reaching out. Our Engineers are looking into this issue with the latest firmware and have provided us a beta firmware. Please DM us your registered email address so we can provide you this firmware and see if it fixes your issue.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 18 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

Nah, I'm good. I am already annoyed enough that this issue has persisted for so long, forcing me to spend a long time trying to figure out what was going on, then having to downgrade to an older firmware to resolve the issue.

Netgear can beta test the firmware yourselves. Once you guys confirm the issue is fixed and it's out of beta, I will happily use the new firmware.

Message 19 of 50
The_PCMaven
Aspirant

I will wait until a fully tested version is out there... no way I'm going through the headaches again. My downgrade to V1.0.1.68_1.0.43 had been running PERFECTLY, without a single issue! The V1.0.1.74_1.0.48 was impossible to use with broken DNS.

Message 20 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

Any updates regarding when this will be out of beta? 

@olympos1625 wrote:

Hi Guys, 

Thank you for reaching out. Our Engineers are looking into this issue with the latest firmware and have provided us a beta firmware. Please DM us your registered email address so we can provide you this firmware and see if it fixes your issue.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 21 of 50
robjak
Luminary

The beta version works with no issues that i could find. 

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 22 of 50
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update @robjak, did you update your support ticket?

Message 23 of 50
SimpleRob
Guide

Any update on when new, non-beta firmware will be released that solves this issue?

@olympos1625 wrote:

Thank you for the update @robjak, did you update your support ticket?

Message 24 of 50
hrabcakm
Star

Hi,

Same Here. I have following two routers with exactly same issue, 2 differents ISPs.

R6400 FW 1.0.1.74 - Long term issue, present also in previous versions of Firmware.

R8000 FW 1.0.4.76 - Same issue, occurs in last 2 Firmware versions.

Hope fix will come soon.

Regards,

M.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 25 of 50
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7