× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Live parental controls fails to setup

cm2297
Aspirant

Live parental controls fails to setup

I have a N900 wndr4500v2. When trying to set up the parental live controls I make it as far as putting in user name and a password. I hit enter and it comes back with the password not being long enough. I have tried different user names and passwords and it won't go any further than that.

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cm2297 & @buckeyestargaze

Can you verify if using a special character and capital letter for password will help you guys pass this registration?

Looking forward to your responses.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 27

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @cm2297,

Welcome to the community!

Is this for the bypass account or just simply creating the login for the Parental Control?

Can you post a screen grab of this window?

Did you try using a different web browser? Also, try deleting browsing history and clearing cache.

Looking forward to your response.

Message 2 of 27

I have this exact same problem on a 7500 AC Nighthawk router.  I get to the place in Genie where I try to setup a new OpenDNS account and it gives me an error that the password needs to be between 6-20 characters.  But no matter what password I try to use it keeps giving me that error.  I need these parental controls. 

Message 3 of 27
cm2297
Aspirant

This is for the parental control.

I am trying to create this from the Netgear app that was downloaded to my pc. I am not opening a browser seperate from the app.

Netgear.jpg

Message 4 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@cm2297 & @buckeyestargaze

Can you verify if using a special character and capital letter for password will help you guys pass this registration?

Looking forward to your responses.

Message 5 of 27

Adding a special character to my password worked, so I was able to create a OpenDNS account with a password that contained a special character, capital letter, a number and is between 6-20 characters.  I would like to note that nowhere on the instructions did it say that all of this was needed, just a password between 6-20 characters.

Message 6 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@buckeyestargaze Thank you for the update! Will pass that along to our engineers and add it in the instructions.

Have a great day!

Message 7 of 27
cm2297
Aspirant

Once I added a special character and a capital it worked without a problem.

Message 8 of 27
gworley
Aspirant

That is weird as I don't have an capitalisation in my or special character in my password -- only difference I used my existing OpenDNS account.

Message 9 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gworley Not sure as to what had happened there, but apparently now it requires those parameters.

Message 10 of 27
Vaquero
Aspirant

When I tried to use this feature on my iPad, i get the message that my username must start with a letter or number. The username I tried to use starts with R. What gives?
Thx
Message 11 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Vaquero

I am inquiring this with our engineering team.

Will update you as soon as I have the response.

Message 12 of 27
nortbrooknz
Aspirant

Hi Moderator,

Having trouble logging in to LPC through genie....opendns account, says that I may not be connected to the internet... which is not the case.

I have the latest firmware update installed.

Modem model is DGND3700v2

Any suggestions?

Message 13 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Vaquero Our engineers are working on this and we will soon release a fix for it. 

@nortbrooknz Do you have the latest Genie App installed? Try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

By the way, are you using the Genie on a computer or an iOS/Android device?

Did you try using a different computer or device?

Let us know what happens.

Message 14 of 27
nortbrooknz
Aspirant

I have 2.4.16.00 on my Desktop which I will uninstall today.

On my i-pad I have 2.4.18... I may try it on the i-phone to see if there is any difference there.

Will load new genie version on my Asus Laptop and see if that works.

Brent

Message 15 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update.

Keep us posted on what will be the outcome.

Message 16 of 27
nortbrooknz
Aspirant

Just loaded current genie on Laptop and tried to run exisitng opendns account..

"There was an error signing in, please make sure you're connected to the internet and try again"

Ideas?

Message 17 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried resetting and reconfiguring the gateway?

Just to be sure, you have fw version 1.1.00.24, right?

In any case, I already forwarded this to our engineering department and will update you as soon as I have the response.

Message 18 of 27
MikeG3
Tutor

When changing the OpenDNS password (I had six numbers as my old password), I was able to change it to an acceptable one with upper / lower case letters, a number and a symbol.

It does not work on my Genie Android app, nor does the application install on my Windows 10 machine properly (error when trying to open it).

Message 19 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MikeG3 Are you trying to login using the bypass account? Or you're just logging in using your OpenDNS account?

What's the error? Kindly post a screenshot.

Message 20 of 27
MikeG3
Tutor

Screenshot (Oct 28, 2015 7_20_25 PM).png.  

When I try to login to the Open DNS account, it keeps asking me over and over to login on the Android App.  The PC application simply crashes immediately.

Message 21 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Tried replicating this using an Android device and I was able to login.

Can you try to login using netgear.opendns.com?

See if you will get the same loop.

If it doesn't, uninstall and reinstall the Genie App on your android device.

There have been reports that some users are having problems running the latest Genie app version on their Windows 10 computers.

Our engineers are investigating on this, for now we suggest that you use an older utility.

parentalcontrol.png

Message 22 of 27
MikeG3
Tutor

Ok now I can suddenly log in with my android.

What user and password do I use for the link of the old utility you sent for the PC?

Message 23 of 27
EllenM
Aspirant

Hello,

I am trying to set up an open dns account so that I can use the parental controls.  I get to the screen that says,

Create as free OpenDNS account. 

I enter in a user name, and a password.   It keeps telling me, 

"Invalid password. The password must be between 8 and 20 characters and contain one upper case, character, one lower case character, and one numerical digit.  Allowed symbols are!@#$%^&*()."

I have tried various long passwords that contain letters, numbers, a special character and a capital letter and it won't let me get any further in the process.  What can I do?  Without the parental controls, the wifi router is not useful for me.

Thanks,

Ellen

Message 24 of 27
EllenM
Aspirant

Cancel the need and confusion expressed in my previous email. 

I was able to set up an OpenDNS account using my cell phone, which I can log into using my computer.

That has been a very frustrating and time consuming work around.  I hope that my experience and my fix saves some other users some frustration and I hope that Net Gear fixes this problem.

Thanks,

Ellen

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7