× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Locked out of my Netgear Router

khatinsek
Follower

Locked out of my Netgear Router

Chrome typically saves my passwords, but for some reason it won't work for my router. The security questions aren't working either. I went to their website and you can only get support by registering (apparently) or paying them $50, but it says I have already registered. I'm just trying to download the recent security update.

Does anyone know what they require for their passwords (Special characters, caps, and all that)? I can't figure this out and Netgear's "support" is pretty useless. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

You can try recovering your password. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24220/How-do-I-recover-my-NETGEAR-admin-password-using-the-password-recovery-...

But if you didn't setup the password recovery (it still asks the questions but there isn't a correct response), then you'd need to factory reset to get back in if you don't know your password. 

Message 2 of 4

@khatinsek wrote:

I went to their website and you can only get support by registering (apparently) or paying them $50, but it says I have already registered. I'm just trying to download the recent security update.

Whose website?

Avoid anything you find in a web search. It has a high probability of being a scam that has thing to do with Netgear and will ask you to pay for stuff you can get here for nothing.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Message 3 of 4
wcalifas
Prodigy

Or you can do a hard reset by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds and then re doing your configuration for the router and your chosen settings and wifi name/ password and all the settings to log into your router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7