× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MAC address Filtering

Diverjer
Aspirant

MAC address Filtering

This is my first Netgear router, I am use to using Linksys/Cisco.  I like to use MAC address filtering and have always used it on Linksys which stops someone from even attempting to signon.

When I installed my new Netgear, I didn't use any wizards and set up same password that my devices were using from my Linksys.  However, I did not put in their MAC address.  They had correct passwords, just didn't have their MAC in the Netgear configuration. 

The Netgear router allowed them to login into the Netgear router, but didn't allow them access to the internet via a browser until I put in their MAC address, would get a message when trying to browse to enter username and password.   I allowed the access via advance. security, access control, turn on access control is checked, block all new devices from connecting is on.  Then the devices were allowed to use a browser.  However as I said the devices could connect with correct password, but without MAC being in the access control.  

Now being new to Netgear and prompt menus being different, am I confusing what Netgear considers MAC address filtering vs what Linksys considers MAC address filtering? 

Model: WNDR4300v2|N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Diverjer
Aspirant

Re: MAC address Filtering

Sorry, thought I posted it. It is a WNDR4300V2 and there are not any updates available. Straight out of the box, I would have thought some updates fresh out of box. Seems to be working like I think it should now, I went in and blocked a MAC, then removed from blocked MAC address list. When trying to connect, it showed up in blocked list and device wasn't connect as it should be. Tried to put device in allow list and it error as duplicate MAC (because it was in blocked list). So I removed from blocked list. I did that because I was going to again try to put in the allow list. However then the device showed up in the top portion of devices as out there trying, but with the red BLOCKED. Which is good. I then checked the allow and it connected fine. I guess if I wanted to manually allow, I would need to turn device off and put in the allow list. Guess just a learning curve on Netgear menus. It also seems I need to broadcast SSID to get my devices (which is a Samsung phone and a tablet) to connect. Seems I use to connect without broadcasting SSID as long as set up on device, but I may be going brain dead from messing with this as well as working on furnace which stopped, but is now going again.

Thanks for responding

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Diverjer

What's the exact model number of your NETGEAR device? 

By default, the setting is that everyone is allowed to connect as long as they supply the correct password.

The MAC filtering/Access Control will only kick in if it's been configured. See link below for more information. 

How do I configure Access Control or MAC Filtering on my router using the NETGEAR genie user interfa...

Message 2 of 4
Diverjer
Aspirant

Sorry, thought I posted it. It is a WNDR4300V2 and there are not any updates available. Straight out of the box, I would have thought some updates fresh out of box. Seems to be working like I think it should now, I went in and blocked a MAC, then removed from blocked MAC address list. When trying to connect, it showed up in blocked list and device wasn't connect as it should be. Tried to put device in allow list and it error as duplicate MAC (because it was in blocked list). So I removed from blocked list. I did that because I was going to again try to put in the allow list. However then the device showed up in the top portion of devices as out there trying, but with the red BLOCKED. Which is good. I then checked the allow and it connected fine. I guess if I wanted to manually allow, I would need to turn device off and put in the allow list. Guess just a learning curve on Netgear menus. It also seems I need to broadcast SSID to get my devices (which is a Samsung phone and a tablet) to connect. Seems I use to connect without broadcasting SSID as long as set up on device, but I may be going brain dead from messing with this as well as working on furnace which stopped, but is now going again.

Thanks for responding

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All firmware updates can be found from the download page or through this site

Thank you for the update. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos