× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Manual

rfwdwork
Aspirant

Manual

I just got this router and was wondering where can I download the manual for it as it didn't come with one, I bought it used and the manual for got lost. I was also thinking that the manual would helpp me get it setup.

Model: WNR1500|N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Manual

Yup, go to the support website, enter your model number and download the manual from there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Yup, go to the support website, enter your model number and download the manual from there.

Message 2 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I was just wondering, do I need to download and load the genie software? What is it and what is it used for?

Message 3 of 17
TheEther
Guru

It's optional. It provides a couple of extra features, like AirPrint emulation for printers that don't have native support, and a useful Wi-Fi scanner. You can easily manage your router with a web browser and there are plenty of free Wi-Fi scanners downloadable from the Internet. Some feel that the Genie is a resource hog on the computer.
Message 4 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

What is your opion. Have you used it, or have now. I value any input on the subject that I can get. I have never used the software or even the router. I am having a hard time getting the router to see the wi-fi network in the house that live.

Message 5 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I tried that but looked at pdf doc. that opened and all it was about hooking the router to a modem. I don't have a modem, where do I put in the name of the wi-fi network and the security code that I have to use. 

Message 6 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, what pdf doc did you look at?

What kind of Internet service do you have?  It's very uncommon to have no modem.

Message 7 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I bellieve it was the setup guide. I actually live in a house where I am a roomate and my computers are in my room that I rent.There is wi-fi for the house, the landlord or owner has the modem in his room. I got the router because I need to hook a wireless printer to it. I got the wireless router so that I can access the internet with my desktop computer. Right now I am using my laptop to access the internet. It is my understanding that the router I have can connect to a wi-fi network.  

Message 8 of 17
TheEther
Guru

While some of Netgear's routers can function as a wireless bridge (i.e. connect a wired computer to a Wi-Fi network), your model does not have this feature.  You can add a Wi-Fi adapter to your computer.  A range extender will also work.

Message 9 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

Which router would you reccomend. I believe for my situation I should have a wireless router that can also connect to the wifi and connect my wireless printer to.  

Message 10 of 17
TheEther
Guru

What is the speed of your landlord's Internet service and what kind of Wi-Fi is available (single band 2.4 GHz or dual band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)?

Why can't you connect your wireless printer to your landlord's existing Wi-Fi network? Do you want to isolate your devices from your landlord's devices?
Message 11 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I don't think he would know, is there a way that I can find out on my laptop, it is running Windows 7 Pro,dual core cpu, 2.2 Ghz. It is the only computer that is mine that is connected to the wifi. I know more about computers then he does. I beleive that it is single but not really sure. Yea I would like to isolate my computers and printer from his. I connected the router to my laptop and it would not even load my home page, I use google as my home page.

Message 12 of 17
TheEther
Guru

You're not going to get Internet access simply by connecting your laptop to your router, because there's no way for your router to connect your landlord's Wi-Fi network. More on that later.

In order to ascertain whether your landlord's router is dual band, your laptop also needs to be dual band.  Can you find out the model of your laptop's Wi-Fi interface?

Does your landlord know the speed of his Internet service?

There are two ways to connect router to a Wi-Fi network.  One way is to get a travel router.  Netgear has the PR2000.  The problem is that it may not have great range. It's also a single band router and only has one ethernet port.

The other way is to buy a range extender and connect your current router to it. This is admittedly a kludgy way to connect a router to a Wi-Fi network. But I know it works because I convinced somebody else on this forum to set this up. Smiley Surprised  That person had a RV and wanted to connect a router to public Wi-Fi at RV camps. Instead of dumping his router in exchange for travel router, he bought the range extender. He's now a happy camper. Pardon the pun.

I hope this helps.

Message 13 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

Dell wireless 1397 wlan mini card, and no the landlord does not know the speed of his internet service, all he knew is that it is comcast. Itold you that the landlord was not very computer savy, he told me that all he knows is how to get into his email and surf the internet. Actually the best way for me is to get a range extender and hook that to my current router. I hope Igave you the information tyou wanted.

Message 14 of 17
TheEther
Guru

From the looks of it, the Dell wireless 1397 is a single band Wi-Fi adapter.  It supports 802.11g, which has been superceded by two, newer generations, namely 802.11n and 802.11ac.  This means that it is going to get, best case, about 23 Mbps.  This is not going to be a good adapter for testing.

Will your landlord allow you to do these two steps?

1. Obtain the model number of the Comcast router
  2. Temporarily connect your laptop directly to the Comcast router with Ethernet and run a speed test (speedtest.xfinity.comspeedtest.net or dslreports.com/speedtest).  Run, at least, the xfinity test.  The other two are optional, but may provide interesting data points.  You may also want to run the test(s) once during the evening and once during the day.  Cable is a shared medium, so the activity of neighbors can affect your results.
Message 15 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I can't connect to my landlord's modem because it is at the othe end of house and to far to connect to. I have decided to use the router for my printer which is also wireless. I use Google Chrome as my browser I can type in a searcxh phrase and then it opens the next page but if I click on any link on the second page that page will not load. 

Message 16 of 17
rfwdwork
Aspirant

I got a wifi adapter for my desktop and I can get online with that. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7