× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Modem speeds significantly faster than router speeds

Sebasedgod
Follower

Modem speeds significantly faster than router speeds

I recently upgraded to an 800mbps plan and am having issues actually getting that speed. 

I have a CM1000v2 modem connected to an R6400v2 router on firmware V1.03.66. This equipment is far from my PC, so I use an EX7300v2 extender in the room my PC is in and connect it with an ethernet cable. All ethernet cables are either cat5e or cat6.

When connected directly to the modem, the office desktop computer achieves 800+ mbps. After connecting it through the router, the speeds drop to 240-310 mbps. I'm not incredibly savvy regarding networking, but I can assume that the issue comes down to the router. I don't have QoS enabled or traffic meter. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 2

Re: Modem speeds significantly faster than router speeds

@Sebasedgod wrote:

I recently upgraded to an 800mbps plan and am having issues actually getting that speed. 

Did you reset the R6400v2 after you changed the internet service? It needs to forget settings from the slower service.

@Sebasedgod wrote:

When connected directly to the modem, the office desktop computer achieves 800+ mbps. After connecting it through the router, the speeds drop to 240-310 mbps.

If that speed is measured through the EX7300v2 is it a wifi connection? Is this EX7300v2  connected by wifi to the R6400v2. 

Just one wifi hop will slash the speeds you get, two would be even slower.

The speeds you get are down to the wifi clients as much as they wifi sources, You will not get near 800 Mbps over wifi unless you have the fanciest wifi hardware going.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series