× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple wifi routers one network

littlebear
Tutor

Multiple wifi routers one network

my home broadband is accessed via a phone line.

on one access point upstairs I have installed a D3600 but the signal is too weak to access downstairs and an extender is not helping.

is it possible to connect a Nighthawk to another downstairs phone line and create one network, with one name, and one password?

thanks

R

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

So you are willing to have one extra subsription to your ISP? Then do it and see how it goes coverage wise.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Daenerys
Luminary

Yes. Set the 2nd unit to AP mode.

Message 2 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Littlebear, your post appears a little confused. Your D3600 is a DSL modem/router and it’s the modem function of the D3600 that enables it to connect to your phone line and onwards to your ISP. I’m not DSL expert, but I don’t think you can simply add a second DSL modem/router to another phone connection point in the house. What you can do, which is what I think Daenerys is suggesting, is to connect the other router to the D3600 via Ethernet cable, and configure the second router as an Access Point. Just out of interest though, do you already have that second Nighthawk router that you refer to?

Message 3 of 10
littlebear
Tutor

Hi Andy,

thanks for your response.

yes I do already have the Nighthawk. I'm currently attempting to set it up first as the primary router with the D3600 disconnected, before seeing if both will connect. 

Having trouble getting it to recognise the ISP log-in, working in that at the moment

Message 4 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the model type of the other Nighthawk? If it’s a Dxxxx then it can connect to your phoneline, if it’s an Rxxxx then it does not contain the necessary DSL modem to be able to connect to the phoneline. Whatever the case, I suggest that you really only want to create one network where you have one primary router/gateway connected to the phoneline, and maybe a secondary router configured as an access point (since you already have a second router).

Message 5 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Hi, OP,

Please draw a block diagram of your network keeping in mind what you want to do.

And already mentioned Dxxx and Rxxx is two differet beast. Think one router(R7000)

bridging the Dxxx, then think AP. If you don't want to run Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable where

needed, then consider power line adapter...

Message 6 of 10
littlebear
Tutor

Sorry working on iPad can't attach a drawing

basically the house is U shaped and two levels. 

On either end of the U is a phone line into the house. 

One is attached to D3600

I'd like to attach the second modem router Nighthawk AC1900 to the other phone line?

think power line adapter might be the best solution,

Message 7 of 10
littlebear
Tutor

New router is a D7000

Message 8 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

So you are willing to have one extra subsription to your ISP? Then do it and see how it goes coverage wise.

Message 9 of 10
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would be interested in the relative cost of that solution, is the OP really opting for two ISP subscriptions as a solution to whole house WiFi coverage?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7