× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N600 DSN address cannot be found

epags1
Aspirant

N600 DSN address cannot be found

Today lost all wireless internet connections to laptops, android tablets and 'smart' TV

The two desktop computers hardwired to the modem have internet connection. 

The subject router lights all appear OK before any of the following;

FWIW, I rebooted the modem (ARRIS DG1670) with no improvement. 

Rebooted the subject router (several times) with no improvement (all LEDs appear OK).

Did a Retore Factory Settings with no improvement. (all LEDs appear OK).

Went to browser and the the http://routerlogin.net and reset both the 2.4GHx and 5GHz network names and passwords. No improvement. (all LEDs appear OK).

So, what am I missing?  Or is the router ready to be replaced?

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

@epags1 wrote:

However I bought a NETGEAR AC1900 as a replacement and in setting it up, found an access to the ARRIS controls and could see the conflicting network names (SSID).  

That is a sign that your "modem" also delivers wifi. So it isn't just a modem.

For a more manageable network and to reduce the risk of future hassles, look into putting the ARRIS thing into modem only (bridge) mode.

arris dg1670a bridge mode - Google Search

Plenty to choose from there.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

Which "N600" are we talking about?

N600 not a Netgear model number. It is a label on many devices with ancient (pre 2010) WiFi technology.

Or is the router ready to be replaced?

Given the age of the device, that might not be a bad idea. You will certainly get better wifi technology. Does it even support 5 GHz? Some N600s don't, they are that old.

Message 2 of 6
epags1
Aspirant

Thought it was included.....model WNDR3400v3

Message 3 of 6

@epags1 wrote:

Thought it was included.....model WNDR3400v3

Not that I can see.

By the way, it looks like your ARRIS DG1670 "modem" may be a modem/router or "gateway". So you are trying to use two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 6
epags1
Aspirant

Years ago the modem was supplied by Spectrum without documentation and I ASSUMED it was a normal modum.  The N600 router had been hooked up since 2019 without any issue.  The problem just started.  Reason unknown...probably a modem hardware upgrade.

However I bought a NETGEAR AC1900 as a replacement and in setting it up, found an access to the ARRIS controls and could see the conflicting network names (SSID).  Interestingly enough the network keys were the same.  Yesterday I managed to get the 2.4Ghz wireless band working and will be working to reset the 5Ghz band today.

Thanks all you forum NETGEAR experts for the help.  I am a retired civil engineer (83 years old) and the changes in computer technology are coming faster than I can keep up.  

Message 5 of 6

@epags1 wrote:

However I bought a NETGEAR AC1900 as a replacement and in setting it up, found an access to the ARRIS controls and could see the conflicting network names (SSID).  

That is a sign that your "modem" also delivers wifi. So it isn't just a modem.

For a more manageable network and to reduce the risk of future hassles, look into putting the ARRIS thing into modem only (bridge) mode.

arris dg1670a bridge mode - Google Search

Plenty to choose from there.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7