× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 WNDR3400v2 pin location

DrDanFreehold
Follower

N600 WNDR3400v2 pin location

This is a simple question.  I purchased a new laptop and tried to connect to my Netgear router.  The setup is asking for the 8 digit pin.  It is not on the router.  One tutorial on YouTube showed a web address which brought up the settings.  The pin is under the advanced settings.  The Netgear Genie doesn't seem to work.  Please help! 

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: N600 WNDR3400v2 pin location

You can log in through the browser to get it. You don't need to use netgear genie. 

Also, you should be able to setup the laptop using just the ssid/password and not using the wps option

Message 2 of 3

Re: N600 WNDR3400v2 pin location

@DrDanFreehold wrote:

The setup is asking for the 8 digit pin. 

Setup for what? The PC?

Does it mention something called WPS? It is a push button way of making a wifi connection. Your ancient WNDR3400v2 supports it through that big button on the top.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) Method

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

By the way, if you plan to plug your new laptop into the Ethernet on the router, be prepared for disappointment.

The router has its origins in 2010. According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-T.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7