× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N900/WNDR4500v2 WiFi Only Getting 10-20% of Wired Speeds

Cavball9
Tutor

N900/WNDR4500v2 WiFi Only Getting 10-20% of Wired Speeds

Hello,

Long-time, first-time. Running a Arris SB8200 3.1 modem & N900 WNDR4500v2 (w/ latest firmware) router. Just switched ISPs to get some quicker speeds. Paying for 200Mbps, actuals are consistently 200-300Mbps wired (CAT6) on multiple Speedtests. WiFi channels are 6 (2.4GHz) and 153 (5GHz). 

The problem arrives when I check WiFi speeds. My iPhone XS is pulling over 100Mbps via 5GHz, but can't seem to eclipse the 30Mbps mark via 2.4GHz. Tried a Chromebook and pulled 40-45Mbps. Roku TV (WiFi) upstairs was at 45Mbps.  I've checked the devices in the same room as the router as well as different rooms & floors. Similar results everywhere. Can't seem to get anything over 40-45Mbps via WiFi anywhere in the house. Am I in need of a router upgrade, or is this something else I'm missing? 

Thanks in advance. 

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7
Cavball9
Tutor

And before someone chimes in with the "You're not going to get WiFi speeds to match your wired speeds," I'm well aware of that. I should be hitting more than 50% when I'm 10' from the router though, and certainly better than 20%. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

5ghz will get you faster speeds, 2.4ghz probably not any faster than what you're getting. Its a much slower network than 5ghz. 

I've used multiple routers from netgear and other companies and 2.4ghz is slow. Its a basic limitation in how 2.4ghz works versus 5ghz. 

I live in a detached home with other homes close by and I rarely see sustained speeds >30-40mbps even using AX routers/wireless cards. I've seen peaks of 70-100mbps but its not sustained. And again, thats using AX routers with AX wireless cards. My AC routers/devices didn't fare any better over 2.4gh. 

The only time I've maintained faster speeds over 2.4ghz was when I was testing in a rural area with no other homes within any distance and without obstructions. But even those speeds were just the 70-100mbps. And again, AX devices. 

Message 3 of 7
Cavball9
Tutor

Thank you for the response. Very helpful & much appreciated! 

I've heard & read conflicting information regarding which channel to use on my 2.4GHz band. Some of the information I've seen says to use one of 1-6-11 because they're non-overlapping, but those are also the most commonly used channels. Recent network scans in the area show about 70% using 1 or 11 and majority of remaining networks on 6.  Couple random others scattered across the rest.

Any recommendations on that end of things? 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

the reason they recommend 1-6-11 is because of channel overlap. Channel overlap is basically because of the width of the broadcast. so if you're on channel 6 it overlaps from channels 4-8. so if you have your channel set to 3 or 4, the people who are set on 1 and 6 can interfere with you. as well as you interfere with them. 

Why Channels 1, 6, and 11? | MetaGeek

I would simply try the least congested of the 1-6-11. and see how it works. 

Message 5 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

When you do a wifi speed check always do it on the 5ghz band and do it right next to it because as you drift farther apart your speeds will drop but it tells you your max speeds on wifi. I can't tell you for sure whether the newer routers will give you faster wifi speeds but you will never get the max speeds that you're getting over wifi. Only way to get those speeds are through a wired connection.

Message 6 of 7
Cavball9
Tutor

Did you read either of my posts? I literally mention/acknowledge all of those things.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7