× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR AC1750 - R6400V2 - MODEM DROPPING OUT WIRED AND WIRELESS

J2023
Aspirant

NETGEAR AC1750 - R6400V2 - MODEM DROPPING OUT WIRED AND WIRELESS

Hi,

We have 2 of these modems at 2 addresses same issue.

We use them as a BYO modem for our Internet service provider. 

Internet service provider is certain the fault is not with them or the NBN connection but cannot offer support for BYO modems.

Basically the internet connection drops out intermittently without rhyme or reason both wired and wireless are down when it happens.The modem then requiring someone to reset it at the power point which resolves the issue when it turns on again

Tried updating firmware to the latest, changing wires/moving around, moving modem location, confirmed settings from ISP- correct, other modem  settings remained unchanged / default.

Is there anything else i should do or change? i note when a computer is dormant there is an orange light at the port- is it timing out because the modem cant communicate with it?

Tried calling Netgear but most unhelpful and only interested in signing up for service contract and different staff offer different pricing/ plans which seems sus to me and no guarantee they can solve my issue or listen.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
J2023
Aspirant

Re: NETGEAR AC1750 - R6400V2 - MODEM DROPPING OUT WIRED AND WIRELESS

Thanks for your help, issue RESOLVED- threw the “router” not modem in the e-waste recycling bin and purchased a different brand, which was easy to use and no issues.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@J2023 wrote:

Hi,

We have 2 of these modems at 2 addresses same issue.

The R6400V2 is a router. No modem involved.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Tried calling Netgear but most unhelpful and only interested in signing up for service contract and different staff offer different pricing/ plans which seems sus to me and no guarantee they can solve my issue or listen.

Be careful with any number you rang after a web search. They may claim to be from Netgear but many are scam, merchants that will try to sell you all sorts of snake oil.

Message 2 of 4
J2023
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, issue RESOLVED- threw the “router” not modem in the e-waste recycling bin and purchased a different brand, which was easy to use and no issues.
Message 3 of 4

As you are on the NBN network, you should know that it has caused much grief in the  router world, especially when people try something like the R6400V2, which has its origins in 2015, when NBN was in its fledgling days.

The people who run NBN have also tweaked the system over the years and have broken quite a few modems and modem/routers in the process.

With luck new hardware will avoid those obsolescence issues.

A good place to look for local help in Oz is:

Whirlpool Forums

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7