× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR AC1750 speed

ramit123
Aspirant

NETGEAR AC1750 speed

Hello. Spectrum updated speed from 150MBPS to 300MBPS. AC1750 should support this speed. However, I cannot get more than 200MBPS (when connecting directly to the router). I ordered the router from Spectrum. With their router, I get 300MBPS and more, using the same cables. I called Netgear technical support to ask if I need to upgrade the router and what are my options. The support person told me that the router is fine and it only needs some configuration, but I have to pay $150 for the service (and that a new router would have the same issues). 

I did a factory reset and started from scratch, and still cannot get the speed. I also confirmed that iI have the latest firmware. What else can I try to do?  Many thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions

Re: NETGEAR AC1750 speed

@ramit123 wrote:

Hello. Spectrum updated speed from 150MBPS to 300MBPS. AC1750 should support this speed.

Which AC1750 is that?

AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. That one was popular between about 204 and 2018.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

I called Netgear technical support to ask if I need to upgrade the router and what are my options. The support person told me that the router is fine and it only needs some configuration, but I have to pay $150 for the service (and that a new router would have the same issues). 

Who did you call? A  number you found on Google? If so there's a good chance that it was a scam site. Netgear uses Gearhead for support and that doesn't have a $150 option.

GearHead Support | NETGEAR

You can get a one-off session for $49.99 but that probably isn't worth it either.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies

Re: NETGEAR AC1750 speed

@ramit123 wrote:

Hello. Spectrum updated speed from 150MBPS to 300MBPS. AC1750 should support this speed.

Which AC1750 is that?

AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. That one was popular between about 204 and 2018.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

I called Netgear technical support to ask if I need to upgrade the router and what are my options. The support person told me that the router is fine and it only needs some configuration, but I have to pay $150 for the service (and that a new router would have the same issues). 

Who did you call? A  number you found on Google? If so there's a good chance that it was a scam site. Netgear uses Gearhead for support and that doesn't have a $150 option.

GearHead Support | NETGEAR

You can get a one-off session for $49.99 but that probably isn't worth it either.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7