× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghthawk R6400 AC1750 Access Point not connecting to the internet

pilot51
Guide

NIghthawk R6400 AC1750 Access Point not connecting to the internet

I am using a Nighthawk R6400 AC1750 v1 router as an access point in my bedroom to run my Firestick. For some reason, it stopped connecting to the internet today. The Firestick is connected to the access point, but it just says "No Internet".

I tried connecting to the access point through an ethernet cable connected to my laptop and typed routerlogin.net, routerlogin.com, 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.0.1 and the first 2 send me to another page that tells me to click on "login page cannot be displayed" and that doesn't work. The last 2 tell me it took too long and cannot connect.

All I want is to go into the access point and update the firmware hoping that will resolve the problem, but I can't seem to be able to.

By the way, the internet came in for a few seconds, but then it disappeared.

Has anyone had this problem before and how did you resolve it?

Could it be that the access point's hardware has reached its end of life? 

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What router is the R6400 connected to? 

Log into that router and look at its attached devices page. It should list the IP address for the R6400. 

That's what you need to access it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
pilot51
Guide

The router is from Frontier. It’s an Arris NVG468MQ. However when I try to access the R6400 through it, it only gives the option to rename it. Is there another way to access it? I also have a Nighthawk 6400 V2, just in case this one is broken. I wanted to try it instead, but I can’t configure it as access point because the original option to do it is not available anymore.
Any suggestions?
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Your gateway has its own built in router. it causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 6
pilot51
Guide

What I don’t understand is why Netgear 6400 v1 has been working as an access point for several years with no problem, until this pass Saturday 6/2/23, when it stopped transmitting the internet signal.

I’m sorry I did not understand your instructions. Do the refer to the actual Netgear access point which is 6400 v1 or to the other 6400 v2 which has not been configured as an access point?
I am not versed on modems and routers, so it was kind of hard to follow. I’m sorry I did not understand very well.
Message 5 of 6
pilot51
Guide

Also, I have not configured the Nighthawk 6400v2 to an access point. I was my router before Frontier installed theirs.

Since the Nighthawk 6400v1 was acting as my access point for several years, why would it stop transmitting the internet signal, even though I can see it on my iphone and my firestick as part of the network?

Also, the Frontier Arris is a router, not a modem.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7