× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need an ethernet port on other side of house from router

daveharriett
Tutor

Need an ethernet port on other side of house from router

I am adding an additional NVR security system on the opposite side of the house from my router.   It requires an ethernet port for connectivity.   I have had a Netgear EX6150 AC1200 WIFI extender for almost a year.   It worked well when placed in the middle of my 3000 sq ft home.    But when I moved it to the other side of the house to utilize it's ethernet connection on the NVR the signal was very weak.   

I'd like a solution that would give me a stronger signal at the other side of my house with an ethernet port for the new NVR.   I don't really care if it is an add on or if I must buy all new equipment.   I have security NVRs now at opposite sides of my house which both require an ethernet connection to my LAN.    My cable comes into the house on the side of the original NVR which is where my router is located. 

I doubt it is more than 100 feet away, but it must go through about four rooms worth of walls from the router to the extender with the ethernet port.    One of the walls is competely mirror.   That may make it a little harder.   Is there an extender with an ethernet port that will pick up a stronger signal when so far away from the router?   Or is there a router that will send the signal with more strenth to my existing extender when it is so far away? 

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

@daveharriett wrote:

I am adding an additional NVR security system on the opposite side of the house from my router.   It requires an ethernet port for connectivity. 

Powerline Ethernet if you domestic mains wiring is up to it.

Does just what you want for many people.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried something like powerline or a moca adapter? Not all homes work well with powerline but it is an option. And moca adapters work pretty well too. 

Or if you have to have it over wireless, then a mesh system like orbi might be a better option than trying to daisy chain extenders. You'll lose significant amounts of throughput and have quite a bit of latency daisy chaining extenders. 

Message 2 of 13
daveharriett
Tutor

I just read about MoCa.   If my router and modem were MoCa compatible I still don't have a coaxial cable hook up near where the NVR is located.   So I still need to go wireless to that point.   Can you tell me why Orbi might work better?    Does it have a stronger (longer) reach over the air?   I don't mind spending the money if I find something that works well. 

I had hoped on this Netgear forum that someone would say "Oh that's not a problem with the new xxxx router or xxx extender.  They carry much longer distance or they can pick up the router signal at a longer distance."   Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist yet.   But I hoped it would save me hours of research and possible waste of money trying to solve this issue. 

I certainly appreciate your response.   I can still learn something every day in the tech world.  

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

@daveharriett wrote:

I just read about MoCa.   If my router and modem were MoCa compatible I still don't have a coaxial cable hook up near where the NVR is located.   So I still need to go wireless to that point.   Can you tell me why Orbi might work better?    Does it have a stronger (longer) reach over the air?   I don't mind spending the money if I find something that works well. 

I had hoped on this Netgear forum that someone would say "Oh that's not a problem with the new xxxx router or xxx extender.  They carry much longer distance or they can pick up the router signal at a longer distance."   Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist yet.   But I hoped it would save me hours of research and possible waste of money trying to solve this issue. 

I certainly appreciate your response.   I can still learn something every day in the tech world.  

reason orbi might work better (the tri-bands) is that they reserve 1 radio chip just for router---satellite communication. This helps reduce the throughput and latency hit you take by using extenders. They also offer both daisy chain and star configurations and they adjust to what works best. 

Meaning they can go:

Star:  satellite<----------router--------->satellite

Daisy chain: Router-------->satellite--------->satellite

or even a combination: satellite<----------router-------->satellite--------->satellite

plus they offer ethernet backhaul. 

And some of the satellites have ethernet jacks on them for hardwiring in devices. 

And if you have area's that need better coverage, its easy to add additional satellites with orbi. Regular extenders don't work well if you're needing more than 1. 

Plus it uses 1 ssid for the router/satellites so you arent having to constantly switch between ssid's. 

Reason there hasn't been a "new router that has much longer range" is that the FCC sets broadcast limits on power. thats why you aren't seeing the range improvements that prior generations brought. But you are seeing better throughput speeds at those distances. And better tolerance for multiple devices sending/receiving at the same time. 

if you do look at orbi, the 50 series has the highest throughput backhaul. 

Message 4 of 13

@daveharriett wrote:

I am adding an additional NVR security system on the opposite side of the house from my router.   It requires an ethernet port for connectivity. 

Powerline Ethernet if you domestic mains wiring is up to it.

Does just what you want for many people.

Message 5 of 13
daveharriett
Tutor

I just ordered the Netgear Powerline 2000 + extra outlet.   I hope that does what I'm looking for.    Thanks for all the help with alternatives.   

Dave

Message 6 of 13
antinode
Guru

> I just ordered the Netgear Powerline 2000 + extra outlet. [...]

Did you order one of them, or did you order the pair of them that you
will need?  (What, exactly, comes in the box?)

Message 7 of 13

@daveharriett wrote:

I just ordered the Netgear Powerline 2000 + extra outlet.   I hope that does what I'm looking for.    Thanks for all the help with alternatives.   

I hope that works out. Good luck.

The PLP2000 is the latest modem and has LAN ports at 1000 Mbps, way faster than your antique router, so the plugs shouldn't get in the way as long as your mains circuit cooperates.

It looks like the plugs you have ordered have the advantage of a second LAN output on the "guest" plug, which may come in useful.

The minimum number in the box is two plugs. Netgear doesn't sell singletons. Fortunately, other brands do sell one offs and these happily coexist with Netgear's plugs.

You need only one plug connected to the source router. You can then add other plugs to its network.

Message 8 of 13
daveharriett
Tutor

Message 9 of 13

@daveharriett wrote:

I ordered the pair.   https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-powerline-2000-extra-outlet/6203586.p?skuId=6203586

That's fine. Netgear does not sell single plugs so that's a red herring.

Message 10 of 13

A further thought, newer Powerline plugs can turn up with "sleep mode" (power saving) activated by default. Don't panic if you see signs of that. Drop by the Powerline bit of this place. There's an easy answer, but don't worry about that until it happens.

Message 11 of 13
daveharriett
Tutor

The Netgear Powerline 2000 worked like a charm.   My NVR is getting great speed.   Thanks

Message 12 of 13

@daveharriett wrote:

The Netgear Powerline 2000 worked like a charm.   My NVR is getting great speed.   Thanks

Great. Another convert.

When it works, Powerline Ethernet is a simple alternative to running wires around the place, a possible cause of marital grief.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7