× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear C6250 2.4 GHz Extremely Slow and Dropping Signal

jwats13
Aspirant

Netgear C6250 2.4 GHz Extremely Slow and Dropping Signal

My Netgear C6250 I just purchased is only working well/at advertised speeds on the 5GHz band. I have Comcast Xfinity, 300 Mbps. My modem router firmware version is V1.02.01. The issue lies with the 2.4GHz band, where repeated speed tests show 6 - 12 Mbps. Devices connected to this band (like cell phones) consistently drop off the Wifi or are extremely slow. This happens randomly, not all the time, but so far hasn't been working as advertised. Have soft and hard reset the router, restarted, rebooted with Comcast, etc. No change. 5GHz works great, getting speeds of 220 - 300 Mbps consistently. Only have a couple devices connected to 2.4GHz and still slow. I have changed the channel to 1, 6, and 11 as mentioned before in other forums and speeds haven't increased. I purchased new coax cables as well. Wired connection works great. I live in an apartment complex with a lot of other Wifi signals in range (about 15). Not sure what the issue is here.

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear C6250 2.4 GHz Extremely Slow and Dropping Signal

If your devices have 5ghz, definitely move them to the 5ghz. because its faster and has more channels it suffers from less interference. A great plan.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The issue is probably the "I live in an apartment complex with a lot of other Wifi signals in range".

2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. And its more sensitive to interference because is has less channels available that have overlap. Its made even worse in apartment living because they're so close together. 

When I lived in an apartment, my 2.4ghz was pretty much worthless because of the amount of signals. 

Did your old device have the same speeds over 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 4
jwats13
Aspirant

Old device (Xfinity default modem/router) had about the same speeds but was less spotty. Didn't drop the connection nearly as much as my near C6250. Should I just move all of my compatible devices to 5GHz?

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If your devices have 5ghz, definitely move them to the 5ghz. because its faster and has more channels it suffers from less interference. A great plan.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7