× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 router ethernet really slow but wifi is fine

JakeMN
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 router ethernet really slow but wifi is fine

Hi, I have the Nighthawk AC1750 router and I have been having troubles with the ethernet. I have 400 mbps download and I was getting the full 400 on ethernet a little bit ago but all of a sudden I am now getting around 130 on ethernet and 170 on wifi. Wifi is fine but I dont understand what happened to the ethernet speeds. I tried to reset the router back to factory settings and it actually worked for a little bit. I was back to getting 400 on ethernet for a couple days then it stopped working and I am now getting around 130 on ethernet again. I tried factory reset again and now thats not working and I’m still getting around 130. Any thoughts on what I can do? Thank you.
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

You are more than welcome.  Please mark this as resolved.  If you have issues down the road, start a new thread.

👍

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 26

All Replies

Let's start with the usual boilerplate questions to rule out the obvious.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

What do you see in Show Statistics for your Internet Port? Anything odd in the Status column and the speeds of the LAN links?

Message 2 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Thank you for the reply. The router is currently on firmware version V1.0.4.128_10.0.104.

I am using a Modem that I got from Charter Spectrum, the ES2251 DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA.

I looked at the Show Statistics for the Internet Port, WAN is 1000M/FULL and all the LAN ports are 1000M/FULL and nothing I can see that's out of the ordinary.

Message 3 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Are you able to help me? I’m still having the same issue.
Message 4 of 26
Kitsap
Master

Connect your computer direct to the modem without the router in between, and test your throughput.  What do you get?

Recommend you use the Ookla native test application for your operating system.  It is available from the Playstore and this eliminates the web browser as part of the test.

Please confirm the full model number of your router.  Look on the label.  Is it R6700???

Message 5 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

I connected my Ethernet directly into the modem and I get well over 400 mbps. Still getting 170-200 when connecting Ethernet from router.
Message 6 of 26
Kitsap
Master

Please confirm the full model number of your router. Look on the label. Is it R6700???

Message 7 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Shoot, my apologies. It’s the R6400v2 not the R6700
Message 8 of 26
Kitsap
Master

The firmware version you are giving me matches up to the R6700v3 and not the R6700v2.

Check the label again and look at the top of the page when you log in to the user interface.

Some general troubleshooting and configuration checks.

Do you have QoS activated?

Do you have any parental controls activated?

Do you have firmware updates on automatic?

Are you certain the Ethernet cables are good?  Recommend Cat 6, but Cat 5e will work in a pinch.

How long has it been since you did a full firmware default reset and reconfigure from scratch?  The manual calls it factory reset but it lost something in translation.

Message 9 of 26
Kitsap
Master

Your firmware, version 1.0.4.128, matches for the most recent for the R6400v2.  See questions above.

Message 10 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Yeah, I'm on Firmware Version
V1.0.4.128_10.0.104

Upstream and downstream QOS is not activated but WMM is for 2.4 and 5.0 wifi

Parental controls is disabled

Yes, firmware updates is set to automatic

I have a cat 7 ethernet cable

I did a factory reset last week and it was working fine for a bit I was getting 400+ but then whenever I reset my Modem it gets messed up again and I am back to 170-200 on ethernet

Message 11 of 26
Kitsap
Master

OK.  You have shown your ISP is delivering on its part to your modem.  You have shown at least one Ethernet cable is good and that your computer can receive what you are buying.

When you did the firmware default reset, did you configure your router from scratch or did you import a previous saved configuration file?  If you imported a previous configuration file, you most likely brought back the problems.  You will need to perform the firmware default reset again and configure your router from scratch.

Here are some general configuration recommendations for dealing with Ethernet throughput issues.

Dynamic QOS should be disabled?  Under Quality of Service.

Traffic Meter should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Traffic Meter

Access Control should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Security -> Access Control

Is IPv6 enabled?  If your ISP supports it, it should be enabled.  Under Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> IPv6

If you add Wi-Fi to the mix,

Smart Connect should be disabled?  Under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup

Is the 2.4 GHz channel selection on Auto?  Try manual channels 1, 6, 11.

Is the 5 GHz channel selection on Auto?  Try channel 48.

Message 12 of 26
Kitsap
Master

When you restart your network, power down your modem and pull the power cord and the Ethernet cord to your router.  Power down your router and pull the power cord and the Ethernet cord to your computer.

Connect the power cord and boot the modem.  Give it ample time to fully boot and connect to your ISP.  One of the last indicators to illuminate will be the internet connection.

Connect the power cord and Ethernet cord to your router and boot it up.  Give it ample time to fully boot and stabilize.  One of the last indicators to illuminate will be the internet connection.

Connect your Ethernet cord to your computer and restart.  Run the Ookla throughput test.

Message 13 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

I went to Advanced settings - > Administration - > Backup settings - > then it says "Revert to factory default settings" with a button "Erase". Thats how I've been resetting it to factory settings

I can't find where it would show Dynamic QoS, just the upstream and downstream. I dont see a Quality of Service tab just a "setup QoS"

Traffic meter is Disabled

Access Control is Disabled

I have a IPv6 option. It says "Internet connection type" then has a dropdown with the following options. Disabled, auto detect, 6to4 tunnel, pass through, fixed, DHCP, PPPoE, auto config, 6rd Tunnel

I don't see an option for Smart Connect

2.4 GHz is on channel Auto

5.0 GHz is on channel 153

Message 14 of 26
Kitsap
Master

I do not have an R6400v2 and sometimes the configuration menus differ a little bit as do some of the features.

There is also a manual reset.  A recessed button on the back of the router.  With the router powered on, press and hold the button with a toothpick or pen until the LEDs start to flash.  Wait a few seconds, release the button and let the router boot.

If you have successfully reset the router, it will start off with the configuration wanting to change your user interface password and asking security questions.  Also the Wi-Fi SSID's and password will match the label on the back of the router.

What ever flavor of QoS you have, it should be disabled.  On the IPv6, choose auto config.

Message 15 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

I've also factory reset the router using the tiny button on the back with a paper clip and that worked too.

I selected IPv6 Auto Config and now I get multiple things to change (Pictures below)

JakeMN_0-1674016249430.png

JakeMN_1-1674016296203.png

Message 16 of 26
Kitsap
Master

A moderator has to approve pictures you insert.  If you attach them, they do not have to be approved.  You can only attach one photo per message.  Just add a second message.

Message 17 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Screenshot (1).png

Message 18 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Screenshot (2).png

Message 19 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Did those work? I sent 2 images

Message 20 of 26
Kitsap
Master

No.  See attached.

Message 21 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

Message 22 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

I see now, my bad. Just attached them now. 

Message 23 of 26
Kitsap
Master

Leave all options in automatic.

Message 24 of 26
JakeMN
Tutor

I just reset my router back to factory and set the IPv6 to Auto Config and I'm getting 400+ on ethernet perfectly fine.

Thank you for taking time to help me, I appreciate it.

I'll keep testing my router throughout the week and see if it ends up going back to that 170-200 range again or not. Thanks again.

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7