× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6220 AC1200 Firmware Fails to upgrade

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear R6220 AC1200 Firmware Fails to upgrade

My Router is running Firmware Version V1.1.0.64 and I get constant emails and notifications from the Genie app to update to Firmware Version 1.1.0.106.  BUT IT DOESN"T WORK!

It doesnt matter if I try to upgrade through the Genie App the Nighthawk phone app or the Browser.  I have also downloaded the IMG file from the Netgear website and executed a local firmware upgrade from the Browser.  NOTHING WORKS and since the router is more than four years old I have no support options other than to complain that Netgear does not know what they are doing and exhibit no responsibility to fix their problem.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Netgear R6220 AC1200 Firmware Fails to upgrade

I solved this problem myself by posting my Firmware Update problem on Netgear's Facebook page and DM them every day for a week, verbatim, as it was posted here in the community.  They finally became sufficently embarrassed that they were compelled to get in contact with me and offer a possible solution.  Not all Firmware updates were showing up in the Genie Desktop app Header Bar.  Previously I never had a problem running the update, but recently had not seen a Header Bar notification, but also, did not think anything of it.  Turns out I was 6 Updates behind and with no explanation of why the app wasn't notifying the User of updates being available.  I can well imagine that everyone will be knowingly shaking their head "He's an idiot..." NADA! This one is not on me.  I run a home network that includes four exterior Video Surveilance  security cameras tied to our phones, laptops, and a Samsung tablet performing intrusion notifcation via email and SMS, and Cloud recording of all events, four TV's running Sling, Netflix, and Prime via WebOS and FireStick as well as on desktop apps that tie in four 2TB Hard Drives for movie and TV Media storage, provides real time Smart House Ingress/Egress security monitoring, door lock controls, and an interior Video Surveilance network.  I am on my network on a regular basis and admittedly have not had a peep out of it for months nor any notification of an overdue update until I received a general broadcast eMail from Netgear specifically stating a needed emergency Firmware Update (106) was available.  Lo and behold, none of the intervening five Updates had been announced by the Desktop App.  Naturally I had to install all the sequential updates to get the latest to install.

As a former programmer of proprietary test Lab software for a multi-billion dollar international manufacturing  company's Quality Assurance Process Lab, I know how to write a routine that notifies a User that a necessary sequential process 'Step' has not been implemented.  I find it hard to believe that NETGEAR could not write a simple three or five line routine that compares the current Firmware version ID to the installing Firmware Update version ID and output a dialogue that says: "You are missing a critical Firmware update that precedes the Update you are installing. Please refer to to your [model number here] Netgear Support Download Page for missing software/firmware updates."

I mean come on guys!  It would be snap even to have it TELL THE USER WHAT THE MISSING UPDATE IS!  This is what computers are for: AUTOMATION!  So thank you, ME!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] BUT IT DOESN"T WORK!

"DOESN"T WORK" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] I have also downloaded the IMG file from the Netgear website and
> executed a local firmware upgrade from the Browser. [...]

What's the actual file name of the firmware image?

Normally, I'd stick with the manual web-browser scheme.  Did you get
any actual error message from that?

> [...] NOTHING WORKS [...]

Aside from not revaling which kind of "not work", "NOTHING" and
"Nothing I've tried" are spelled differently for a reason.

> [...] V1.1.0.64 [...] 1.1.0.106 [...]

It shouldn't matter, but it might be educational to try a smaller
jump.

> [...] I have no support options other than [...]

Buying a support contract?  I wouldn't, but it is an option.

> Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter

Nothing to do with anything?

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let's see... my router the same one in the problem description: R6220 AC1200 Dual Band

The 'PROBLEM' is that it does not upgrade from Firmware Version V1.1.0.64 to version R6220_V1.1.0.106_1.0.1 as stated in my original message.

The name of the image file is the same as the firmware upgrade if you can believe that [V1.1.0.106_1.0.1] as mentioned in my original message.

What I did is contained in this excerpt from my original message: [It doesnt matter if I try to upgrade through the Genie App, the Nighthawk phone app, or the Browser.]

What happened or what indications of failure I had to indicate that the upgrdate failed is alos a part of my original message: BUT IT DOESN"T WORK!  I guess I should have said "IT DOESN"T WORK!"  The word 'BUT' must have confused you.

Indicator lights?  Error messages?  Actual results? THE FIRMWARE UPDATE DIDN'T WORK USING THE GENIE APP, BROWSER OR NIGHTHAWK APP.

Do you know what happens when a firmware upgrade doesn't take?  The current firmware version number does not change. and the standard dialogue message comes up for five seconds "The firmware update has failed. please contact your administrator or Netgear customer service" <which is just a longer way of saying: BUT IT DOESN"T WORK! 

And don't bother replying to this.  I'm not interested in conducting a conversation with someone more interested in whining about how I didn' give him enough information because he can't read or think.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I solved this problem myself by posting my Firmware Update problem on Netgear's Facebook page and DM them every day for a week, verbatim, as it was posted here in the community.  They finally became sufficently embarrassed that they were compelled to get in contact with me and offer a possible solution.  Not all Firmware updates were showing up in the Genie Desktop app Header Bar.  Previously I never had a problem running the update, but recently had not seen a Header Bar notification, but also, did not think anything of it.  Turns out I was 6 Updates behind and with no explanation of why the app wasn't notifying the User of updates being available.  I can well imagine that everyone will be knowingly shaking their head "He's an idiot..." NADA! This one is not on me.  I run a home network that includes four exterior Video Surveilance  security cameras tied to our phones, laptops, and a Samsung tablet performing intrusion notifcation via email and SMS, and Cloud recording of all events, four TV's running Sling, Netflix, and Prime via WebOS and FireStick as well as on desktop apps that tie in four 2TB Hard Drives for movie and TV Media storage, provides real time Smart House Ingress/Egress security monitoring, door lock controls, and an interior Video Surveilance network.  I am on my network on a regular basis and admittedly have not had a peep out of it for months nor any notification of an overdue update until I received a general broadcast eMail from Netgear specifically stating a needed emergency Firmware Update (106) was available.  Lo and behold, none of the intervening five Updates had been announced by the Desktop App.  Naturally I had to install all the sequential updates to get the latest to install.

As a former programmer of proprietary test Lab software for a multi-billion dollar international manufacturing  company's Quality Assurance Process Lab, I know how to write a routine that notifies a User that a necessary sequential process 'Step' has not been implemented.  I find it hard to believe that NETGEAR could not write a simple three or five line routine that compares the current Firmware version ID to the installing Firmware Update version ID and output a dialogue that says: "You are missing a critical Firmware update that precedes the Update you are installing. Please refer to to your [model number here] Netgear Support Download Page for missing software/firmware updates."

I mean come on guys!  It would be snap even to have it TELL THE USER WHAT THE MISSING UPDATE IS!  This is what computers are for: AUTOMATION!  So thank you, ME!

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I had to install all the sequential updates to get the latest
> to install. [...]

"had to"?  You tried all the proper subsets of "all the sequential
updates" and all those simpler schemes didn't work?

Wow.  I must be a real dope if I failed to suggest something like:

>    It shouldn't matter, but it might be educational to try a smaller
> jump.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7