× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6400 router 5ghz band not working

totherpage95
Initiate

Netgear R6400 router 5ghz band not working

I have a r6400 router that I bought from someone who originally bought it from bestbuy for $150 in 2016 and it was working pretty well until yesterday when a thunderstorm caused a power surge and I think it damaged the router because I can't see the 5g network ssid even though the settings are correct for the router and even resetting the router doesn't help you will only see the 2.4ghz ssid. is there any way to get support without paying because when i tried to register with netgear i see their warranty is 90 days
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

storms are great for wrecking electronics unfortunately. 

Warranty is usually a year on these but if it was bought in 2016, you're not going to be within warranty. And paying for support in this incidence probably isn't worth it as the cost of support is probably more than the cost of a new/refurbished R6400.  

If you had a spare power supply from a different device, you could try swapping that out and seeing if it fixes it. The only other option I would try would be to reload the firmware (not just reset). Resetting it just removes the settings. Reloading it can possible fix corrupt firmware.  Its worth a shot. 

Here's your support site. There's multiple versions of the R6400 so make sure you select the correct one from the drop down. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

storms are great for wrecking electronics unfortunately. 

Warranty is usually a year on these but if it was bought in 2016, you're not going to be within warranty. And paying for support in this incidence probably isn't worth it as the cost of support is probably more than the cost of a new/refurbished R6400.  

If you had a spare power supply from a different device, you could try swapping that out and seeing if it fixes it. The only other option I would try would be to reload the firmware (not just reset). Resetting it just removes the settings. Reloading it can possible fix corrupt firmware.  Its worth a shot. 

Here's your support site. There's multiple versions of the R6400 so make sure you select the correct one from the drop down. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6400.aspx

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you have a spare power supply make sure the voltage matches the old one. The amperage needs to be at least as much as the old one as well. 

Message 3 of 4
totherpage95
Initiate

I completely forgot I was using a different power supply than the original one. I plugged in the netgear one and the 5g network is working thank you so much

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7