× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6400V2 keeps locking up

Dixielovesme
Aspirant

Netgear R6400V2 keeps locking up

I have an R6400V2 WifI router with firmware V1.0.4.128_10.0.104.  The latest as I set up to auto update.

There are about 18 attached devices with 7 being Ring Cameras.

Seems like every day, the router stops communicating, and I can't log into it.  

The wireless signals on front panel show good and the internet signal shows good.

I have to reboot it, then it works fine.

I disabled WMM QoS to give video lower priortity, but that didn't help.

I used the setup wizard initally, and have security on the wireless, and it seems like everything worked fine until another individual added all the Ring cameras.

It seems like it should handle this load, but almost every morning the office secretary has to power cycle the unit, then it is good for the day.  This is at a church office, that without the ring cameras, has about 10 connections.

Any ideas are highly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: Netgear R6400V2 keeps locking up

- WMM increases throughput, so turn it on. WMM is not "regular" QoS.
- Have you done a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch?
- Turn off automatic firmware updates. It can silently brick your router.
Message 2 of 5
Dixielovesme
Aspirant

Thank you. I will re-instate WMM and go back to factory defaults.
(Tomorrow after church, because we still need it to stream).
I do have the Ethernet port that connects to the streaming device as a high priority. It is hard-wired for better throughout and stability.
Message 3 of 5

@Dixielovesme wrote:

Seems like every day, the router stops communicating, and I can't log into it.  

The wireless signals on front panel show good and the internet signal shows good.

Those symptoms raise an immediate question, what delivers the Internet to the router?

Make and model of the modem/gateway/Optical Network Terminator (ONT) in front of it.

Message 4 of 5
Dixielovesme
Aspirant

After the router locked up again today, I just said to heck with it and replaced with a newer version - the AC 1800, called RAX10.  The wifi has better range and everything is stable.  Just didn't want to do factory resets and other trouble shooting on an older generation product.

Case closed.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7