× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Router R6260 - doesnt keep my settings

Shafqat
Aspirant

Netgear Router R6260 - doesnt keep my settings

Hi,

I purchased the Netgear router on ebay. Reset everything, but when I try to login to adjust settings, it does not keep my changes i.e. password or secret questions. I have tried factory reset but it still doesnt keep my settings. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9

@Shafqat wrote:

I purchased the Netgear router on ebay. Reset everything, but when I try to login to adjust settings, it does not keep my changes i.e. password or secret questions.

Let's hope it wasn't sold because it was bust.

When you say you "Reset everything", what did you actually do?

This?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have tried factory reset but it still doesnt keep my settings.

How are you working in the router? What settings are you changing? How do you know that they aren't being saved?

Message 2 of 9
Shafqat
Aspirant

Factory reset. 

Added all the information to setup the router along with Admin password changes and security questions. When it was all setup, I tried to connect on my laptop using 192.168.1.1, it didnt accept the Admin details, asked for Router Serial number and then security questions which all failed.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

I've seen it where if you don't put in the proper requirements for the password, it makes you go back through password recovery/setup. 

Make sure to have 10 chacters

1 special

1 number

1 upper case letter

1 lower case letter. 

Message 4 of 9
Shafqat
Aspirant

Ok. It accepted the password during the setup. So not sure why it doesnt accept it after that. Also, why would the security questions not be saved? Strange no? 

Message 5 of 9

Is it connected to a modem of some sort?

Message 6 of 9
Shafqat
Aspirant

Its connected to a Virgin Media router, I use it as an access point but also a ethernet connection. Both the Wifi and Ethernet drop out and then comes back on again, happens every few hours. So I reset everything and wanted to see if there are some settings in the Netgear router that I need to change.

Message 7 of 9

@Shafqat wrote:

Its connected to a Virgin Media router, I use it as an access point but also a ethernet connection.

Pity you didn't say that at the outset.

You said earlier:

When it was all setup, I tried to connect on my laptop using 192.168.1.1, it didnt accept the Admin details, asked for Router Serial number and then security questions which all failed.

If the R6260 is set up in AP mode, then you can forget about using that way into the R6260.

You need to get the IP address from the attached devices list in your main router. Then feed that into a browser to get at the AP's controls.

Message 8 of 9
Shafqat
Aspirant

Ok great. I will try that. Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements