× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear WNR3500v2 as third wifi access point

Snaterman
Aspirant

Netgear WNR3500v2 as third wifi access point

Hi,

I recently got a new router/modem(in1) (technicolor) from my ISP. i have a second wifi accesspoint in the form of a TPLink Archer C9. I now want to make a third wifi access point in my basement with the netgear router because signal there is bad.

I want to configure it with all same Settings(SSID, password, ...) so that users only have to join it once.

I have redone my entire network, installing the new modem.router, setting up the ArcherC9, all wen well. but the Netgear router seem not up to the task.

Network info

Internet

v
WANport 

[Technicolor modem/router/DHCP/wifi access     ip 10.0.0.1]

LANport
  v 

LANport

[ArcherC9 wifi access point   ip 10.0.0.2]--  LANport > my PC is here

LANport
  v 

LANport

[Netgear wifi access point  ip 10.0.0.3?]    -- LANport > NAS attached

i think installing the archer went good
after some trouble and some factory resets, it seemed installing the netgear went good to. but no wifi connection (can see, but cant connect)

i can see NAS, but is wired

what i did:

turned netgear router off, disconnected everything, except 1 lan port to my laptop turned it on

connected to 192.168.1.1 to get to interface

(canged password)
1. Basic settings: left Internet-IP settings on dynamic (no LANport connected, so should be goed. Am iI right??) I did try to set this to 10.0.0.3, but that wasproblematic in step (3).
2. wireless settings: same ssid, security and password as main router wifi (other channel)

3. Advanced-wireless settings:    radio and ssid broadcast on

4. Advanced- lan ip setup: ipadress 10.0.0.3, subnet same as main router (255.255.255.0)      DHCP off

saved all, turned router off. reconnected all network cables (all LAN-ports, WAN=not connected then turned on the router.
wired everything works, internet connection available, PC sees NAS

But when i try to connect to the wifi i get error. not available.
i can not seem to get on the router page anymore to see the settings.  (not at new adress 10.0.0.3, not at old adress 192.168.1.1)

(when i disconnect connection to main router, i also can not see the router anymore, even after reboot of router and laptop. (no gateway,m ip on laptop is 169....)

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for any help. Regards 
Geert snatersen

ps. topics did not help me:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wired-Routers/How-to-set-up-my-wnr3500l-as-an-access-point/td-p/378...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/Using-a-WNR3500v2-as-Access-Point/td-p/1054392

also: 
http://www.routerlogin.net  does not work (i think i need to be on the wifi of the device for that)

Model: WNR3500v2|RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear WNR3500v2 as third wifi access point

Welcome to the community, @Snaterman

Reset the router to access the admin page or the GUI then start all over. 

I suggest that you change all wireless settings first before changing the IP addresses.

Before doing anything, make sure not to connect the router yet to anything else except a PC. 

For the LAN IP address, set it to 10.0.0.3, copy the subnet mask and the default gateway. 

Disable the DHCP by unchecking the box that says "Use Router as DHCP Server". After saving the settings, you wouldn't be able to access the page anymore since it changed it's IP address.

You may now connect the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN port. After connecting the cable, check your computer if it will get an IP address. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Snaterman
Aspirant

addition: in step 4, gateway of netgear is set to main router 10.0.0.1

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Snaterman

Reset the router to access the admin page or the GUI then start all over. 

I suggest that you change all wireless settings first before changing the IP addresses.

Before doing anything, make sure not to connect the router yet to anything else except a PC. 

For the LAN IP address, set it to 10.0.0.3, copy the subnet mask and the default gateway. 

Disable the DHCP by unchecking the box that says "Use Router as DHCP Server". After saving the settings, you wouldn't be able to access the page anymore since it changed it's IP address.

You may now connect the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN port. After connecting the cable, check your computer if it will get an IP address. 

Message 3 of 5
Snaterman
Aspirant

Last night i tried again, and although i think i did everything the same, it now worked (like a charm), so i guiess i did something wrong earlier.
Internet connection is available and i an see te routers setup page at 10.0.0.3.
(sidenote, my internet is very slow, but i'm still checking wether thats an issue with the isp, it probably is)

Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear that it worked! 

Thank you for providing your feedback and marking the solution.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7