× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear cm 500 with netgear r6080 router on spectrum 300 mbps only gives 30 mbps

Robert4
Follower

Netgear cm 500 with netgear r6080 router on spectrum 300 mbps only gives 30 mbps

I checked with spectrum they said everything is fine on their end the router ports and router itself are up to date on firmware.paying for 300mbps but only getting 30mbps wifi and hardwired .Please help
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Netgear cm 500 with netgear r6080 router on spectrum 300 mbps only gives 30 mbps

Are you able to access the CM500 by following the instructions on page 13 of the user manual?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CM500/CM500_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf 

Although Spectrum reports "all is good", perhaps the CM500 can provide information about the cable connection (signal strength, errors, etc.)

Unlike more modern products, the R6080  does not appear to include Ookla Speed Test as a feature. (I find no reference in the User Manual.) 

• Which user devices are being used to measure network speed?
  • Which is 'wired' and which is connected with WiFi?

Just to be clear, the R6080 is running firmware 1.0.0.54, correct?

p.s. I agree entirely.  Paying Spectrum for 300Mbps and getting 30Mbps is not acceptable.  I pay Spectrum for 300 and constantly get well over that as measured by both my Orbi router and computers wired to the router.

Message 2 of 3

Re: Netgear cm 500 with netgear r6080 router on spectrum 300 mbps only gives 30 mbps

@Robert4 wrote:
I checked with spectrum they said everything is fine on their end the router ports and router itself are up to date on firmware.paying for 300mbps but only getting 30mbps wifi and hardwired .Please help

You will never get faster than 100 Mbps with that router.

According to Netgear's manual for the R6080, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.

Your CM500 can deliver 1000 Mbps.

Replace your router with something more capable and you should be able to get nearer to 300 Mbps.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7