× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear email says there's a firmware update for my Orbi RBR40 and RBS20, but it doesn't show up

autigers1970
Aspirant

Netgear email says there's a firmware update for my Orbi RBR40 and RBS20, but it doesn't show up

So I got an email about a firmware update from Netgear.  I'm on 2.5.1.22 for the RBR40 and 2.5.1.16 for the two RBS20's I have.  Checked for an update in the Orbi app and it says I'm up to date.  Logged into the admin interface on my computer and checked for updates, it says it's up to date.  But when I go to the Downloads section for my hardware, it clearly says that 2.6.1.36 is available for both.

So what's the issue?  Is there a v1, v2, etc for this model and this new firmware doens't apply to it or what?  I tried rebooting the Orbi system as well and it's not working that way either.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear email says there's a firmware update for my Orbi RBR40 and RBS20, but it doesn't show up

It usually must means the update was pushed out to the manual update server first. 

You can manually update if you're having issues but if everythings working great, I'd wait on the auto-update to be pushed out. 

Message 2 of 7
autigers1970
Aspirant

Re: Netgear email says there's a firmware update for my Orbi RBR40 and RBS20, but it doesn't show up

So, it's been 5 days since I got that email and the auto update function still says "no new firmware available."  How long does Netgear generally take between releasing an update before auto-update will see it?

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

It varies. There's not set time that I've found

Message 4 of 7
autigers1970
Aspirant

Still not seeing it in the app. Anyone else having this issue?
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

If its bothering you, you can just do the manual update. 

Message 6 of 7
autigers1970
Aspirant

I mean, as a cybersecurity person I do tend to like staying on top of updates. I just don’t understand what the point of a “check for updates” feature is in an app or the web admin interface if It doesn’t actually check for them. And it also makes me concerned as to whether my particular model is actually supposed to get the update.

Sorry to be a pest but I don’t think my concern here is unreasonable.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7