× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear router is killing my hard wired speed

DEH-Altamonte
Follower

Netgear router is killing my hard wired speed

I have the Netgear AC 1000 R6080 router.  When I plug my computer directly into the wall plate I get 288 mbps which is close to the 300 mbps promised by my cable provider.  However, when I go through my Netgear router the speed drops to 80 mbps.  I have done a factory reset, and the firmware is up-to-date.  What else can I do?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Nothing you reset is going to get you over 90mbps (ish). Reason why is that router isn't gigabit capable. Its only 10/100mbps capable. So its fastest speed is going to be a third of what you're paying for. 

so if you want faster speeds or the speeds you pay for, you'll need to upgrade to a gigabit capable router. 

Message 2 of 3

@DEH-Altamonte wrote:

I have the Netgear AC 1000 R6080 router.  When I plug my computer directly into the wall plate I get 288 mbps which is close to the 300 mbps promised by my cable provider.  However, when I go through my Netgear router the speed drops to 80 mbps.

That's because you bought a router that cannot handle connections faster than 100 Mbps

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet, anything faster than 100 Mbps is a waste of your money.

It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support at least 1000BASE-TX.

I'd lay money that the modem you use, or whatever sits behind that wall plate, has a LAN port that runs at 1000 Mbps. You are feeding that into a WAN port that does 100 Mbps.

No amount of firmware tweaking or resetting will get you above 100 Mbps. Only a new router can do that.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7