× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network gone after factory reset on WNDR3400v2

Jeremy-W
Aspirant

Network gone after factory reset on WNDR3400v2

I had to factory reset my router because I forgot the password. After I did so, my network is no longer working. I cannot connect my windows tablets to my PC and vice-versa. They cannot see my PC and my PC cannot see the tablets. I'm not sure what's going on. Have tried both Homegroup and just going through "network" with no homegroup created. I've shared files, changed settings to "on..." Can anyone help???

Model: WNDR3400v2|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Jeremy-W
Aspirant

Re: Network gone after factory reset on WNDR3400v2

Thank you for all your help, but I ended up buying a new router and set it up and that fixed the problem. I'm sure there was a solution but after hours of time spent on the phone with tech and reading countless articles on how to fix it with no results, I went that route and saved myself more hours of countless headaches.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Assuming you did setup the SSID and security the same as before???? Delete saved connections in each device pertaining to the home network. Use the ping utility to test. IP addresses may have changed depending on setup.  

Message 2 of 10
Jeremy-W
Aspirant

I should let you know, I am no computer expert. Some things you might say will probably need explaining and I thank you in advance for your patience. I'm going to look into what you just said and give that a try. Not sure how to use the ping utility to test. 

Message 3 of 10
microchip8
Master

Factory reset means to wipe out all settings and restore them to default. You didn't mention if you set up your setting after the reset but assuming you did not, you need to input/configure your settings again after a reset. 

Message 4 of 10
Jeremy-W
Aspirant

OK. And how do I do that? The reason for the factory reset was, I was communicating with a vonage rep to get my vonage device working. He had me change settings on my router and we got that working, but because of the reset, it messed my network up. I'm not sure what other settings I need to change. 

Message 5 of 10
microchip8
Master

@Jeremy-W

Since you did a factory reset, you can go in your browser to 192.168.1.1 and login with user "admin" and password "password" and then you can set up the settings your previously had. If you can't reach 192.168.1.1, then you most likely need to set a static IP on the PC you're using to get to the router. An IP of 192.168.1.2 (or slightly higher) will mostly do. Don't forget after you log into the router and set things up to also change the IP on your PC to "dynamic" so it can get its IP from the router, henceforth 

Message 6 of 10
microchip8
Master

To add to the above, you need to manually set things up. No restore from a saved configuration file! The reason for this is that a saved config file may introduce the same problem you previously had and tried to get rid of with a factory reset. So, in a few words... you need to manually re-enter your settings again after a factory reset.

Message 7 of 10
Jeremy-W
Aspirant

I'm sure that I'm annoying to you, but I really am not computer literate, hardly at all. I don't know what you mean by re-enter my settings. I went through the process on the pc and made sure my IP is dynamic. I don't know what settings I need to have on my router. I've attempted to get around this problem by using Hamachi, but it's a little finicky too and only a temporary fix. I'd like to have this problem solved but my knowledge of routers and all is very limited.  

Message 8 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Perhaps, you need to re-enter your desired wireless settings.

See this article for more information.

You may also want to view or change the wireless network settings just like how you had it before.

Message 9 of 10
Jeremy-W
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help, but I ended up buying a new router and set it up and that fixed the problem. I'm sure there was a solution but after hours of time spent on the phone with tech and reading countless articles on how to fix it with no results, I went that route and saved myself more hours of countless headaches.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7