× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AC1750 (R6400)

Strat1
Tutor

Nighthawk AC1750 (R6400)

I've never been abused by customer service until last night. The thought never entered my head.
What started my day off was my internet abruptly stopped. I switched out a couple of cables, still nothing.
I went through the whole deal of resetting the modem, router, pc. More of the same.
I then contacted an ethernet cable from router to pc. That was working, just no wifi.
I checked my WiFi networks, the 2 that I once had were missing.
I explained all this to support. He told me my network was no longer private. He also said I needed to buy Netgear Security to get it up and running. I said I dont want it. Then he said I'm out of luck. My only way was to get security (i asked if I could use another firewall, he said no.
Then he hung up on me. I called again, the same guy answered. Then he said, to make my network private that he had to search and delete all the IP addresses that were on my pc, phone. Mind you, not for free. Basically, my only option was to pay to get rid of IP's, and pay for Network Security.
I'm just flabbergasted. Who talks to customers this way, not to mention the attitude and hanging up on me?
This is the last time I purchase ANY Netgear products. UNBELIEVABLE.
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Strat1
Tutor

Interesting. Something else to watch out for. The number i called was in a netgear app. When it couldn't connect, it prompted me to call the number. I guess that was probably a decoy app. You definitely can't be too paranoid anymore.
So I pressed one of those lit lights on the right side of the night hawk, everything's back to normal now. My cat walks behind my TV all the time, he might have pressed the button. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. Netgear doesn't sell you firewalls. IF some guys was trying, you didn't contact netgear support. Most people who "contact support" google for a phone number and get scam/con sites. To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.  Register an account (or login) and then the device.  From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days. After that it does cost but they aren't selling you a firewall. 

2. If you're wanting help from the community, we needed better details and more details. Like: 

• modem/gateway its connected to
  • firmware on the router
  • a better description of the problem. what are the led's on the router doing, do wired devices have issues, was it factory reset and just needs to be reinstalled, etc. the more details you tell us, the better we can help. 

3. Sometimes the fastest/easiest route is to just factory reset and start back at stock. Have you tried this? 

There's a support site with access to manuals, firmware, install guides, etc.
Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/
Type in your model number and from there it'll take you to the above.
Its a great resource to start with.

Message 2 of 7

@Strat1 wrote:
He also said I needed to buy Netgear Security to get it up and running. I said I dont want it. Then he said I'm out of luck.

There's the clue. There is a very high probability that you were not talking to Netgear.

Let me guess, you did a search on something like "Netgear support". Then you called the number that you found.

If that is the case, you probably hit one of the various scam merchants out there who have nothing to do with Netgear.

If you can provide details of the number you called, or the website you found, we can tip off Netgear so that it can throw its lawyers at these crooks.

I hope you didn't allow these people anywhere near your network. If you did, then run as many security scans as possible.

If you still have problems, and you pare out of the 90-days free setup support, try this place.

Netgear does not actually run a support service. It handles that through GearHead.

GearHead Support | NETGEAR

Message 3 of 7
wcalifas
Prodigy

You can come here though, sounds like the wifi either went out on your router or someone accidently pressed the button on the right for the wifi. I think its the 2nd button to the left. you have to press it for 2 to 3 seconds if that's what it is. If not I'd reccommend you to do a hard reset of your router by pressing the reset button with a paper clip for 30 seconds which will bring it back to default settings.

Message 4 of 7
Strat1
Tutor

Interesting. Something else to watch out for. The number i called was in a netgear app. When it couldn't connect, it prompted me to call the number. I guess that was probably a decoy app. You definitely can't be too paranoid anymore.
So I pressed one of those lit lights on the right side of the night hawk, everything's back to normal now. My cat walks behind my TV all the time, he might have pressed the button. Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
Strat1
Tutor

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. My problem is fixed. I think my cat walked over and pressed one of the lit buttons on the router. Ill definitely keep all the advice you offered.
Message 6 of 7

@Strat1 wrote:
My cat walks behind my TV all the time, he might have pressed the button.

This is not the first time that a cat has turned off the wifi.

They love sitting on top of warm electronic kit.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7