× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R8000P with EAX80 mesh range extender - dropping internet connection / poor connections

mjh6816
Aspirant

Nighthawk R8000P with EAX80 mesh range extender - dropping internet connection / poor connections

I recently changed my wifi network from an all-Apple setup (router w/ 2 extenders) to the Nighthawk R8000P router with an EAX80 mesh range extender.

The Apple setup worked really well inside the house, but I had real problems getting the signal to my wife's studio, which is an outside addition.  When I read the reviews of the Nighthawk products and the overall range, I thought it might be a good solution.  I initially just purchased the router, as the documentation indicated a 3500 sq. ft. range; despite the studio being inside this radius, my signal strength in the studio was essentially zero - a bit of a disappointment because while the Apple extender didn't give me much signal, I was able to used the wifi, albeit quite degraded.

So my next step was to purchase the EAX80 extender, which I put right next to the wall adjacent to the studio, and only around 30 feet away from the router.  This has significantly increased my signal strength in the studio, though still not as much as I would like.

The bigger issue is that since I've changed the hardware, I'm getting frequent disconnects from nearly all of my devices.  The internet just stops working, and I have to 'forget' the network and log back into it.  That fixes the issues for a while, until it happens again.  This is happening across all of my devices - a macbook, mac, amazon echos, android tablets, iphones, etc. 

I also have a noticeably poor connection when streaming ZOOM meetings.  This never happened with the previous hardware, but using Apple screen mirroring from the macbook or mac computeer to an AppleTV is jerky, stuttering, and the video often freezes.  Again, this was not something we were experiencing prior to the hardware change.  The connection seems to be good, 5 bars, and when I do the internet test on the router and the extender I get good results.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  The situation as it is can be very frustrating.

Details

Nighthawk X6S smart router (R8000P) - AC4000  Firmware Version V1.4.1.68

Nighthawk wifi 6 mesh range extender EAX80  Firmware Version V1.0.1.68

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk R8000P with EAX80 mesh range extender - dropping internet connection / poor connection

@mjh6816 wrote:

I recently changed my wifi network from an all-Apple setup (router w/ 2 extenders) to the Nighthawk R8000P router with an EAX80 mesh range extender.

@mjh6816 wrote:

The bigger issue is that since I've changed the hardware, I'm getting frequent disconnects from nearly all of my devices.  The internet just stops working, and I have to 'forget' the network and log back into it.  That fixes the issues for a while, until it happens again.  This is happening across all of my devices - a macbook, mac, amazon echos, android tablets, iphones, etc. 

You have changed the hardware on your network. This means that everything on the network has to learn to live with a new setup. You can reduce the hassle by using the same SSID and passwords on the new network. But wired devices may also need "refreshing".

You should not need to "forget" the network unless you have changed the passwords.

@mjh6816 wrote:

I initially just purchased the router, as the documentation indicated a 3500 sq. ft. range; despite the studio being inside this radius, my signal strength in the studio was essentially zero - a bit of a disappointment because while the Apple extender didn't give me much signal, I was able to used the wifi, albeit quite degraded.

Marketing stuff is for the ideal set up. In the real world things like brick walls get in the way. There may be two lots of external walls between you and the studio. Wired always beats wifi. If they are on the same mains network, without separate junction boxes, then Powerline Ethernet might be an option.

In any case, the wifi signals are set by the standards and the law. Wifi sources aren't allowed to be too strong, partly to avoid interference with other local wifi users. So changing brands isn't likely to deliver any great leap forward.

@mjh6816 wrote:

So my next step was to purchase the EAX80 extender, which I put right next to the wall adjacent to the studio, and only around 30 feet away from the router.  This has significantly increased my signal strength in the studio, though still not as much as I would like.

"Only" 30 feet? That is probably beyond the reach of 5 GHz wifi.

We would all "like" perfect wifi. Are you saying you cant do what you want? Have you tried changing the wifi channels? Have you looked for local interference from the neighbours' wifi?

Message 2 of 4
mjh6816
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R8000P with EAX80 mesh range extender - dropping internet connection / poor connection

Wired devices are working fine.  The issue is specifically with the wifi.

30 feet is too far?  I think you need to look at a tape measure - it's literally the bedroom down the hall, WELL inside that 3500-sq-ft radius, probably within 500 sq ft, and as I noted it worked pretty good with the old hardware.  Not giving me a lot of confidence in my new, very expensive netgear hardware, especially since you seem to be saying that upgrading the technology isn't really going to give me any benefit over my 10-year old Apple hardware.

I know how networks are 'supposed to' work.  The reason I posted here is because it's NOT working like it's supposed to.  The SSID did not change, the passwords did not change.  Setup instructions were followed to the letter.  Everything appears to be working fine when I go through the Nighthawk app.  But I still regularly get disconnects, and can get them while sitting right beside the router or extender, so range is not an issue.

The range issues are not as important to me, as you so inelegantly pointed out it's doing what I want.  The disconnects, however, are not normal, and I'm tiring of constantly having to forget/reconnect.  

Message 3 of 4

@mjh6816 wrote:
...since you seem to be saying that upgrading the technology isn't really going to give me any benefit over my 10-year old Apple hardware.

I am saying that wifi signal strength is a standards thing. Newer wifi technologies bring many improvements, such as Mesh. You didn't ask about those. You just talked "range".

@mjh6816 wrote:

30 feet is too far?  

I mentioned that in the context of 5 GHz wifi. You didn't mention which bands you are using. 5 GHz is faster but has a shorter range. Only you know what your old kit delivered,

@mjh6816 wrote:

The SSID did not change, the passwords did not change. 

I have to take your word for that information, which you did not mention first time around. Faced with vague descriptions, all that we can do here is point to possible issues to pursue.

@mjh6816 wrote:

Everything appears to be working fine when I go through the Nighthawk app.  But I still regularly get disconnects, and can get them while sitting right beside the router or extender, so range is not an issue.

Not sure what you mean by " working fine when I go through the Nighthawk app".

Again, "regularly get disconnects" could describe many things.

I forgot to ask about the modem, if there is one, in front of your router. If there is another bit of kit on the network, that too might benefit from a reset when introduced to a new router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7