× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PLW1000 / mywifiext Issues

Tripl3j
Aspirant

PLW1000 / mywifiext Issues

I am having a strange issue.....

1) My ISP used to have two networks avaiable on the wifi network.

- 2G Network

- 5G Network

- I was able to get the PLW100 connected to BOTH wifi networks out of the box. No problems.

_________________________________________________________ NOW _____________________________________

2) I recently had issues with my internet connection, ISP said it was a firmware issue. So I updated.

3) After updating the firmware, there are no longer 2 ISP wifi networks avaiable. It is one ISP wifi network, and the 2G & 5G designations are gone.

4) I am not able to log into mywifiext, it returns a time out error, or it says I have no internet connection, even tho the wifi panel on my computer says I am connected.

___________________________________________KEY POINTS _______________________________________________

- After the firmware upate, I was not able to see the PLW1000 on the network anymore.

- I factory reset the PLW1000, and they are showing up again, but with the 2G and 5G designations still.

- It will not let me connect to the mywifiext, to change the setttings, it returns one of the two errors above. (routerlogin.net returns a netgear page, not connected.)

- It will give me internet access, without typing in the default password again, even though I factory reset them.

- I have to "forget the network" and rejoin, for it to ask for a password.

- It is almost as if it is still storing the old information, even though I factory reset them.

- I was able to connect to mywifiext once, after I restarted the computer, it told me the default PW, and my PW were wrong. It wont connect again.

- I hardwired into the PLW100, so I am not doing it via wifi.

Thank you for you time, in advance.
@plemans

@michaelkenward 

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 7

Re: PLW1000 / mywifiext Issues

@Tripl3j wrote:

1) My ISP used to have two networks avaiable on the wifi network.

- 2G Network

- 5G Network

Those wifi networks have nothing to do with your ISP. They come from your router.

It might help if you told us what sits in front of the PLW1000. I assume that there is a router of some sort.

@Tripl3j wrote:

- I was able to get the PLW100 connected to BOTH wifi networks out of the box. No problems.

That's not how it works. The PLW100 does not "connect to" any wifi networks. It connects to your router over the mains circuit, as an alternative to an Ethernet cable. The PLW100 then operates as a wireless access point that broadcasts its own wifi that your devices can connect to.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Powerline Networking - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 7
Tripl3j
Aspirant

The modem and router router come from my ISP. They control that all, they determine what networks the PLW100 can see, and can access. After the update, it changed. My devices tho, connect, to what the device thinks is a wifi network. The connections, even show up under the wifi network "available connections". While I understand what youre saying, and that is correct, it doesnt display that way, and I wanted to be clear, when posting my message. When you connect to a PLW100, it simply appears you are connecting to another wifi network. When I say connect the PLW1000, I have to go into mywifi, and change the admin settings. CONNECT the PLW1000, to the new information my ISP is providing.

My setup is normal : PLW1000>Router>Modem

I have spent the past 3 day online. I have seen all of that. That's not my issue. I need to know why I cant change my mywifi settings.....

I really think this has to do with 2 things :

1) It doesn't appear the factory reset, took 100%. It appears it is still storing residual information.

2) The modem supplied by my ISP, is telling the PLW1000 the connections have changed. But its not changing.

If I only have one connection option, via the ISP router, the PLW1000 shouldn't be displaying a 2G and a 5G network. Right?

My ISP used to give customers the choice, 2G or 5G (which I think is silly) when connecting via wifi.It's not broadcasting those anymore. It's one network now.

My PLW100, actaully came with a whole book! It's of no help! LOL

Thanks for your time!

Message 3 of 7

@Tripl3j wrote:

The modem and router router come from my ISP.

If you want help fixing problems, we still need to know what this modem and router is/are.

@Tripl3j wrote:

They control that all, they determine what networks the PLW100 can see, and can access.

Unlikely, but without more information we are all left guessing.

Sounds like you need to talk to your unnamed ISP. There is nothing that Netgear can do about things that are beyond your and its control.

Message 4 of 7
Tripl3j
Aspirant

I private messaged you my ISP, I redacted it from here, for security purposed lol......

The modem is a Ubee EU2251

Router is a Askey SAX1V1K

Both are branded Spectrum also.

I have spoke with them about this in the past, you know how that goes lol, are they even Tech's? But I have been told they control the networks, that are available. Their company name is even in the "default" network name. I must go in and change it.

Message 5 of 7

@Tripl3j wrote:

The modem is a Ubee EU2251

Router is a Askey SAX1V1K

It looks like the Ubee EU225 is a plain cable modem. The Askey SAX1V1K (or is it SAC1V1K or RAC2V1K?) is a standard router.

I doubt very much if your ISP has much "remote control" over the router, the important bit. (It can manage modems, but that shouldn't get at the router.) You should be able to access the router from a PC so that you can change its settings.

The usual way into a router is with a browser to:

http://192.168.1.1

The symptoms you describe, two wifi SSIDs suddenly becoming a single SSID, can happen when "smarty connect" is activated.

As to the PLW1000, you need to get into its "management". If www.mywifiext.net does not work, then you need to find the IP address that is has picked up from the router.

There are various ways of getting the IP address. The easiest is to get into the router and see which IP address it has assigned. If that doesn't work, then whatever you use to access the wifi should also have a way of finding the "properties" of the IP source from the PLW1000.

Message 6 of 7
Tripl3j
Aspirant

Thank you for your time.

1) I already have the IP for the PLW1000, when I type that into a browser, it spins, and spins. It cannot connect. It returns errors.

2) I can access my ISP provided modem, and router, without issues. I can see the IP's, via IPCONFIG, or I can see via the ISP app.

3) It is SAC, not SAX, apologies.

4) I have not seem a "smarty connect" option. It wasnt there before the fimrware update (to the ISP provided modem).

After the firmware update to the ISP modem, I was kicked off all networks, and all devices. I had to go back in, and re-setup all that information. Only this time, 1 SSID. instead of 2.

Also, as I mentioned, my ISP had restriced acess to making changes via the desktop. It is blocked. You must use their app now.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7