× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PS121 Print Server PSU plug size

bordonbert
Guide

PS121 Print Server PSU plug size

I have found this question asked a number of times before but never for a similar unit as this one.  It's a PS121 Print Server, device name on detail sticker PS3A0591.  I need a replacement PSU as the original one is missing.  It has the usual 5.5mm barrel plug but I can't tell if it is a 2.1mm or 2.5mm centre pin.  At only 0.5A I'm guessing 2.1mm but that is just what it is, a guess.

I have looked in the documentation but the physical size isn't listed there and internet searches haven't given me an answer either.  Can anyone help please?

Incidentally, apologies for the positioning of this query.  Why is it that the Forum insists that I pick a category to post in but won't allow me to access "Legacy/Print Servers"?  I have had to put it in the nearest place available which seems to be Legacy Routers - which it clearly isn't!

Message 1 of 3

Re: PS121 Print Server PSU plug size

@bordonbert wrote:

I need a replacement PSU as the original one is missing.  It has the usual 5.5mm barrel plug but I can't tell if it is a 2.1mm or 2.5mm centre pin.  At only 0.5A I'm guessing 2.1mm but that is just what it is, a guess.

There are still manuals for these things in the support library. But they are usually silent on tip dimensions.

In any case, you won't be able to buy a Netgear replacement, so it will have to be a generic adapter. These often come with a set of tips that will fit just about any standard devices. They look a bit like this:

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

The manual says 9 V DC 0.5 Amps max.

Message 2 of 3
bordonbert
Guide

Re: PS121 Print Server PSU plug size

I had found the manual in Netgear Support so I was aware that they don't give tip dimensions.  I can never really understand the reason why, it's a standard piece of device spec after all, unless its simply a "you MUST buy any replacement from us" marketing strategy.  I guess the pragmatic way is to try a 2.1mm plug from an incorrect voltage PSU (unplugged of course).  That should give a clear demonstration of whether a 2.1mm fits or it requires a 2.5mm.  Why didn't that occur to me before?

I do think it is better to get a straight through hard wired tip if that is possible.  The multi-tip types always seem to be pretty poor quality builds with a noisy output.  You are absolutely right through, they can get you out of a jam.  Given a decent supply I can fit the correct sized plug anyway as I do have good soldering kit and skills.  It's just nicer to get one moulded on from the get go.

Thanks for your advice Michael, it is appreciated.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7