× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Port forwarding not working R7000

karatekidhero
Aspirant

Port forwarding not working R7000

Hello.

So I just got a R7000, mainly for better wifi and a better port forwarding experience. The wifi works great but haven't had any luck with the port forwarding. It just doesn't work allthough I set it up. I would say I have a decent experience with it too, as I did get it to work on my old Cisco router.

My setup works like this: I use the stock Cisco router connected to the modem with a coaxial cable. From the cisco I use a lan cable into the R7000.

Any help at all would be appreciated, as I am very dependent on being able to open ports for hosting servers.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Port forwarding not working R7000

The Cisco router is still in place?  

If so, you are double-routing. You need to change the forwarding rules in the Cisco, so that all the open ports are forwarded to the R7000 WAN port.  Then re-forward them from the R7000 to the appropriate WAN port.

If the Cisco router lets you put a device in the "DMZ" you can also try put the R7000 in the DMZ, and remove all forwarding rules in the Cisco router.

A third option is to set up the R7000 in AP mode, and use it only for WiFi.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The Cisco router is still in place?  

If so, you are double-routing. You need to change the forwarding rules in the Cisco, so that all the open ports are forwarded to the R7000 WAN port.  Then re-forward them from the R7000 to the appropriate WAN port.

If the Cisco router lets you put a device in the "DMZ" you can also try put the R7000 in the DMZ, and remove all forwarding rules in the Cisco router.

A third option is to set up the R7000 in AP mode, and use it only for WiFi.

Message 2 of 4
karatekidhero
Aspirant

The Cisco router is still in place, yes.

I am trying to put the router into DMZ but I need to find out what the R7000's IP adress is. How do I do that?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
karatekidhero
Aspirant

Never mind. I got it working with DMZ now. Thanks a bunch!!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7